Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MS Lifecam vs Philips SPC900

malc-c

There is often discussion on how different webcams compare - so, making use of the first opportunity in the past month to do some astronomy, I took some avi using both cameras and here are the results.

The higher resolution of the MS lifecam is obvious, giving a much larger image, and slightly more detail. The image below was a straight cut and paste of the sun-spot group, with the full images rotated so they both aligned in the same direction.

post-10726-0-92486500-1342357457_thumb.j

The sharpcap files are on the Obsy PC which is off-line now... but the spc900 was taking at 20fps and the Lifecam at 30fps - Obviously the contrast / exposures will be different due to the technology used. For me whilst the Lifecam lacks the flexibility the 900 has, it's HD resolution gives a larger image and pics out solar detail slightly better.

At 20fps with the SPC900 you're getting a fair bit of compression. You may find that 10fps or 5fps gives you more detail (the camera adapts it's compression algorithm depending on the framerate otherwise it can't stuff the data down the USB channel fast enough).

My own opinion is that on bright targets or in large aperture scopes the Lifecam may well beat the SPC, but if you have a relatively small aperture scope and you're trying to image something that isn't that bright (Saturn, say), the SPC comes out on top.

James

Hi Malc-C,

My own experience of the Lifecam v an SPC was that for bright targets the Lifecam wins every time. It has better resolution, faster frame rate and quicker download speed. The SPC is probably more sensitive and has an LX option, but I suspect that these are the only advantages. BTW, if you want a really cheap capable webcam try an Xbox camera, they cost about £5, can delivery 30 frames per second at 640x480 and 7.5 fps at 1280x960. There is no LX mod and probably not as sensitive as an SPC, but for the money can't be beat.

I sold my Lifecam, gave away my SPC900, but might consider buying another Lifecam for my PST, it should work really well.

Oh have to agree, for Planetary work the 900 has given me better results, but luna and solar the Lifecam works well. I find it difficult to get the exposure right when using lower frame rates on bright objects when using the Lifecam, maybe reducing the frame rates on the spc900 as James suggests will work better. It's certainly not upto the results in other posts of today's sunspots using the Dk cameras !

What we don't know about the SPC of course is what other compromises the designers might have made "because it's only a webcam" that the DxK cameras don't have. It may be that under the same conditions the IS camera will always produce better images because of assumptions hidden away in the SPC firmware.

James

Archived