NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Frustrated!!!!!

Willarnold

Hi all,

I've purchased a focal reducer along with the QHY8L adapter from Starizona in the US. This was on the 12th June. They shipped it the same day using USPS, their tracking system says that it's awaiting payment (import duties I assume) on the 21st June.

The problem is that I've had nothing come through from the post to tell me. This morning I went to my local collection depot who told me that the courier is lying, and there is no way that they can track it in the UK.

So now what!?

Any ideas?

A very frustrated

Last time I imported anything from the US, I was sent an invoice about two weeks after my order arrived in the UK, by Fed-ex in this case, and was able to pay by card over the 'phone - if I recall correctly the invoice address was based at Heathrow. The duties added something like an additional 25% to the overall cost of my order. Needless to say, I'll not be ordering from the States again.

USPS is presumably the US Postal Service? Do they have an official UK partner who you can get in contact with or is there a USPS import office in the UK (at one of the airports maybe)? Otherwise be worth seeing if Starizona can push it from their side?

Good luck!

My three Explore Scientific EPs were shipped USPS. They only spent a few days in customs (I've had some stuff languish for two weeks) and then the Royal Mail dropped me a card 'inviting' me to collect them from the local sorting office and pay the charges listed. Unbelievably, they only take cash, so make sure you go armed with some folding.

On a positive note, the charges were slightly lower than I calculated. It normally stacks up as 20% VAT, plus 4% import tax and a handling fee which in my case was £8.

Russell

The USPS does not have a direct pick up agent in the UK, so that means that depending on the size of the package, either Parcel Force or Royal Mail (yes I know they are two parts of the same business), will become responsible for its delivery. Unfortunately this means you will face an £8 handling charge and then the import duty and VAT that is payable on top.

From experience I can tell you that USPS tracking codes for standard delivery cannot be tracked once they leave US shores. You should receive an invoice shorlty with multiple ways to pay and then the item will be released and delivered to you. However, this process can take some time so don't panic if you hear nothing for a few days. That is why now (having experienced the issues with USPS) that I now prefer to select the more expensive UPS / DHL type couriers as they can be tracked all the way.

Thanks all. It looks like I'm just going to have to wait a bit longer.

It's just a pain when USPS say it's waiting for the payment, then the post office saying that there is no way that they can track. Someone is telling porkies!

Hi all,

I've purchased a focal reducer along with the QHY8L adapter from Starizona in the US. This was on the 12th June. They shipped it the same day using USPS, their tracking system says that it's awaiting payment (import duties I assume) on the 21st June.

The problem is that I've had nothing come through from the post to tell me. This morning I went to my local collection depot who told me that the courier is lying, and there is no way that they can track it in the UK.

So now what!?

Any ideas?

A very frustrated

Hi,

I would contact the customs and provide them them with the tracking number to see if the item is anywhere there.

The tracking number might also work in the website of the company (Or Royal Mail) that will be handling the package.

For instance, when I ordered the SPC900NC from Malaysia, the Malaysian tracking number worked through

the Irish Post website as soon as the item was scanned in Dublin's Airport.

If a postman comes to deliver your package and you're not there to pay for Custom's Duties / Fees,

then he should take it back to their depot for a couple of weeks and leave you a note.

I am in a similar situation: the customs actually informed me but when the postman came I wasn't there and I couldn't pay

the fees. So my package was transferred to the depot and the postman just didn't leave any "We missed you" notice. Something

like that might have happened. But you still would have received a note from the customs then. :huh:

I hope this helps you locate the current location of your package or at least to know if it's been sent through customs or it's lost

elsewhere.

Archived