The Great Atlas of the Sky

I have a copy of Byrch's Great Atlas. I respect it as a great achievement--it's a beautiful compilation of data. But it's more for indoor geek outs, and I would never dream of using it under the stars.

If you want a practical atlas, get Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. That's my indispensable reference under the stars. Almost as useable, and more attractive, though quite ungainly, is Sky Atlas 2000 Deluxe Laminated Edition. This is also good under the stars, and nicer to look at indoors, though once you get used to it, the Pocket Star Atlas is probably more useful. I travel almost everywhere with mine.

the Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders covers a number of star maps as a practical guide to telescope users in the field, the most popular is the Sky and Telescopes Pocket sky Atlas then SA2K ( Sky Atlas 2000 ) with the U2K ( Uranometria 2000 ) being regarded as their Bible. The MSA ( Millennium Star Atlas ) goes even deeper than the U2K and has now been reprinted in three volumes. There is no mention of The Great Atlas of the Sky, I don`t doubt because it is reference work for the desk top and not a practical thing you would take in the car to a dark site. I have also come across references to it as about as far as you can go with a detailed star map. I have a copy of U2k and would not like be without it, that together with recently published, The Cambridge Photographic star atlas, is very good for sorting out asterisms around the target you want to find, which you pick up in the finder scope :)

John.

• 6 months later...

Just happened upon this old thread so excuse my resurrecting it. I have the Great Atlas Of The Sky and use it every time I go observing. In fact I like it so much I bought a second set as a spare (at the much reduced sale price), in case my first ever gets messed up. Unlike MSA or Uranometria (but like SkyAtlas 2000.0 Field Edition), GAotS is printed on separate sheets rather than as a single bound book, ideal for use in the field. It's not for beginners and it's not perfect. I wrote a review of it in another SGL thread somewhere, complete with some comparison images from the free TriAtlas.

Edit: here's my review -

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/82393-worlds-largest-printed-star-atlas/#entry895376

Archived