NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New bestest budget CCD webcam now the king is dead?

Mikejh

Given that the Phillips 900 (all bow) is now worth more than its' weight in gold what is the new up and coming CCD budget priced webcam do you think? I ask because I am setting up an imaging rig and want to buy one. I have a modded XBox but I am wondering what else will work with the new cams around now that will give better performance. Thanks.

I think the jury is still out. I don't think the Xbox cam competes with the SPC because it's too noisy, but that doesn't mean it's utterly rubbish for imaging. I've not tried the ASDA camera. The Lifecam's are more expensive and by the time you've bought one and modded it you've probably come close to the price of an SPC on ebay. They may be as good as the SPC, if you can get enough light on the sensor. My experience thus far however is that it's hard to get it to work well in smaller aperture scopes.

James

• 1 month later...

Anyone got philips dont want :)

Xbox is great cam using various software's some op systems have different exposure's than others

i think older cam's best check they have ccd sensors.

looks for cams like by trust, logitech and philips pretty good. and game console cams like ps3, xbox and wii

lot of newish webcam have like small sensors in them and circuit's very small.

I've look but not found any LX mods for the PS3 cam, would be nice as it's a nice camera to use.

Ignoring LX issues for the time been, have people been using successfully for Luna / Planetary?

Them Microsoft lifecams seem ok and asda cam.

and xbox cam noise can be sorted i managed to get rid of loads noise and hot pixels :) check me time lapse startrailing image below.

simple procedure if recording avi once recorded your star pics download avi to raw

and run that it make avi to raw fits images. and then you just simply callibrate them fits

and it gets rid of noise and hot pixels i used imageviewca .

207027_10151201304327288_1393542277_n.jpg

309250_10151201281392288_91527556_n.jpg

Archived