Astronomy gear storage

I thought I'd pose the question, though it is quite simple. I've got an 8" dob, 5-6 eye pieces, binoculars, etc. I ordered the Orion carrying case for my dob tube, but I thought I'd see how most people store their gear. My thought is to carefully setup a duffel bag, but I'd like something that can pack in a closet and "grab and go" (meaning things like binoculars aren't getting banged around in the process). Like I said, quite simple...but it'd be great to hear what others do to keep it all tidy and together.

I keep most of my eyepieces in a Jessop's camera case (one of those with the foam cubes that can arrange as you see fit). Big 30 mm eyepiece, paracorr, and other bulky stuff go in a cheap aluminium hardware case. Everything else (torches, tools, cables, filter slide, batteries, binos, etc) are distributed between a small plastic bin a plastic tool organiser. Books go in a reusable supermarket bag. I try to keep everything together in the house and when I load the car I try to put each item in the same place in the car each time. The idea is that it's more obvious if something's been left behind if its spot is empty: http://www.astromart.com/images/articles/0-999/847-2.jpg For the most part this work. One time I left the Telrad behind: no finder is no fun! But for the most part it's worked out. Not had a truss-pole incident yet ;)

We have a recycle shop (junk?) near me an they often have laptop bags on sale for a pound or so. I now have three!

1 for eps, 1 for tools, 1 for books etc. With a bit of pick foam or similar, they work a treat.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

I also have an 8"dob. I keep the whole thing in a waterproof cover that has a draw string to tighten around the bottom. I think it cost me £25 from one of the main telescope dealers. That stays in my shed has been fine for the 18 months or so it's lived there. All the EP and other bit s and bobs live in an aluminium case that can be bought for a few pounds.

I also have an 8"dob. I keep the whole thing in a waterproof cover that has a draw string to tighten around the bottom. I think it cost me £25 from one of the main telescope dealers. That stays in my shed has been fine for the 18 months or so it's lived there. All the EP and other bit s and bobs live in an aluminium case that can be bought for a few pounds.

i have a cover that covers my cpc from top to bottom it is a barbeque cover from lidl £5 suggested from here, then i have 2 flight cases 1 for my e.p.s. and 1 for my hub,torch,cleaning kit, 12v hair dryer e.t.c. so when i go to a dark site every thing is ready

I use an old padded camera accessories shoulder bag for keeping many items such as telrad, collimating tool, blower , torch, 12V hair dryer, pens etc. Like others a jessops (or maplins) type flight case for eyepieces, filters, diagonal. SCT ota and fork mount live in a 120L cargo bag with original box molding fitted. Flextube stored from dust under a large plastic bag which I picked up several years ago as a complementary ski baggage cover at airports.

Archived