Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher spare parts? (150p dob)

hi, was just wondering if anyone new where or if you to buy spare parts for my skywatcher 150p dobsonian.

The part I am looking for is the almost end/cap ring at the very end of the telescope it sits on the very outer of the telescope and is help in with a few screws just above the spider vein ones. well to explain more its where you put the dust cap on the telescope the black ring at the very end of the scope.

The reason for this is that recently i noticed that one side of the ring lifts up slighty exposing about a 1mm-2mm gap between the scope and the cap. Upon unscrewing the screws that were holding it into place one of them had already de-threaded one of the holes on the plasic ring. and the hole itself was not drilled properly on the plastic ring as it is too low. when trying to screw it into place it pushes the ring slightly up because of this. the screws themselves are fine and i beleive that the holes on the scope are all the same distance apart. I want to ask really if anyone knows where i can find one. although it doesn't affect the viewing performance its just a little annoying knowing that its not screwed on correctly and its not sitting straight on the scope.( uploaded a quick edited picture incase you dont know what part i mean).

Thanks all. :)

post-15103-0-11021000-1341426587_thumb.j

If you remove all the screws holding the ring , rotate the ring about an inch and redrill in the appropriate place........................???

the holes in the plastic are tapped also. there is a section cut out in the ring so it only fits in a certain way. the ring itself is also slightly bent. If i get nothing from the email i might possibly try it. but i would need the right tapping set, drill. depends on the section cut out. But to be fair it isnt noticeable only very close up and it doesn's affect viewing performance. just if i could get another for around £10 it would be something worth trying.

thanks, tyler

Thanks all from your replies, much appreciated. I have had an email from optical vision, they say that they do not stock the part but they can order the part for me. Just waiting for a reply on how to order and the price.

Thanks again, tyler :smiley:

Tyler , hows about taking the thread out to the next size ? they wont be any bigger than about 4-5mm ? , so get the next size screw of the same lenght and replace it with this slightly bigger one ?

Any hardware store will have what you need , screw and tap to make the new thread .

Just a thought , mate .

Brian.

hey thanks brian, it might be something i would consider if optical vision cant stock it. The ring is slightly bent upwards also which i think is adding to the problem. I'm going to wait for them to get back to me and if they can ship it to me at not to much cost id rather do that but if they cannot i might give it a try.

Tyler.

received an email and they can ship the ring to me for £10 with p+p which is a great price. I am currently thinking about buying a larger scope this year or the next possibly a skywatcher 250p(10"). I love my scope and want it to be as good as possible so this will do the trick. when i come to sell it if decide to buy a bigger scope it will be perfect for the next person to use as i take very good care of it.

Thanks again all, tyler.

Archived