Serial to USB cable

Hi all,

Is there any prefered Serial to usb connector/cable fo rupgrading firmware on the Synscan handset, I have seen the astronomyshed video on you tube but it says some people dont get the result they want by using a serial to usb lead.

failing that is there a card I can install into my pc with a seerial port on it?

Kev.

The cable that came with your mount should do the job unless its damaged.

You can buy a simple PCI type serial port for your computer. Just check what type of slot you have before commiting .

The cable that came with your mount should do the job unless its damaged.

You can buy a simple PCI type serial port for your computer. Just check what type of slot you have before commiting .

I asked the wrong question what i meant was it there a prefered adapter?

You're talking PCI so assume this is a desktop. Most desktops have a serial port on the motherboard even if for most nowadays it's only a header on the board itself. Go to the Windows device manager and see if you can find a Com port. If so, then you already have a serial port. Bet you do. Now all you need is the connector. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Male-Motherboard-Serial-Connector-cable/dp/B000JC31L4

There are PCI serial ports out there. I just bought some cheap ones (I need multiple ports) and they were worse then useless: didn't install properly and made the machine unstable. So be careful what you go for.

Otherwise, a USB serial port will work just fine if it's a good one. There are some bad ones out there...

If you find one that is based on the PL2303 or FTDI chipset they're pretty reliable. I used something else for my SPC LX mod and was surprised when it worked so well. I'll find out what that is in a moment.

James

Archived