NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Remote focuser

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been asked before, if so, please redirect.

I have recently set my HEQ5 mount up so i can operate it and the camera from indoors as i'm disabled (15metres away).

My next problem is remote focusing. I am thining about the Skywatcher "auto" cough cough focuser. But my concern is the voltage drop over the 15 metres of extension cable that i would have to use.

Are there any set ups that work that don't cost the earth??

I have seen the Hitecastro focuse controler, but unsure how it works, i believe it is USB powered extension for autofocuser to be control by computer, with sofware. As i'm not using a laptop, would this be an avenue??

Any help would be great

Peter

In the DIY section there are some projects to make remote focusers based on an Arduino. It might be possible to use one of those as the basis for a focuser than can be worked from the kind of distance you need.

James

Thanks James, I'll have a look.

I guess if i use the Hitecastro focuser, with USB-Cat5 extenders, it would work??

Thats what i used to remote control the camera.

USB female extender - 15m Cat5 - usb male extender

Autofocusing for myself is not a problem at the moment as I am right on top of the pier with everything but in the months to come I may have to look at this more closly as I change the layout of the obsy. I am using the SW AF and I expect I will have to up the voltage to get over the distance, I can't see a problem as I have taken the battery away from the focuser and this can be changed easily, problem will be what will the voltage requirement be so I am with you on this on Peter, look forward to the replies :).

Jim

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been asked before, if so, please redirect.

I have recently set my HEQ5 mount up so i can operate it and the camera from indoors as i'm disabled (15metres away).

My next problem is remote focusing. I am thining about the Skywatcher "auto" cough cough focuser. But my concern is the voltage drop over the 15 metres of extension cable that i would have to use.

Are there any set ups that work that don't cost the earth??

I have seen the Hitecastro focuse controler, but unsure how it works, i believe it is USB powered extension for autofocuser to be control by computer, with sofware. As i'm not using a laptop, would this be an avenue??

Any help would be great

Peter

Hi Peter I use the Skywatcher "auto" focuser with the Hitecastro unit with a Heq5 (But I am useing a 12 m usb) to a laptop and it works ok.

Les

I have the Skywatcher 'Auto' Focuser and have made a very simple extension lead that allows me to use the focuser handset 10m away alongside my dslr remote shutter control. I still use a standard 9v battery within the handset.

For me the beauty of using an extension is that at the beginning of a session I use the supplied coiled lead, and if the skies hold out and I decide upon imaging I simply unplug the coiled lead and run the extension. The plugs and sockets are RJ10 4P4C type (bought from fleabay) and I used 4 core 'burglar alarm cable' available from Maplins. Only two connections are neccesary between the handunit and the motor.

With this cable, running at 10m is fine for me.

With speaker cable with more copper cores I don't think you'll have any noticable voltage drop over 15m, but I'm not an expert.

I agree with alien trader , I'm running mine over 10m no problem on the standard 9v battery and RJ10 lead. I used to do the same thing with my cg4 mount and the motor controller handset without any issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived