Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 1100 Edge HD, just pulled the Trigger

Hi again

After months & months of toying with the idea of maybe upgrading and then all the researching into what I should go for. I've just pulled the trigger on the Celestron 1100 Edge HD, the last one on offer from the good people at FLO.

I know it's not a massive increase in size from what I've got but I have been really interested in the Edge HD scopes and with the offer FLO had on, I thought why not. Can't wait to test drive it when I get chance and look forward to seeing it perform when imaging. I was also looking at the 1400 HD but couldn't justify all the extra cost and with me not having a permenant set up (obsy), this was an offer I couldn't pass up!

I've ordered a couple of the safety clamps too for the dovetail, and will have to get a heated dew shield and am looking at a feathertouch to upgrade the focuser too. Does anyone have any other good recommendations for upgrades like maybe a good finderscope.

I'd would also like to see any images taken with this scope if any of you owners have any to share or could guide me to some please.

Looks like I'll be putting my C9.25 on here shortly

Hey Kevin,

Slightly off topic, but I have just ordered a C9.25 from FLO. Was a little bit worried about going any larger than that as handling may become an issue. What are your impressions of the C9.25??? I have read alot of reviews from other owners who rave about it.

Hi Malc

I've had some great (for me) images from my C9.25 and have really enjoyed using it, I upgraded from an LS 6" (Meade) and the difference was very noticable. It's easy to transport and I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your purchase.

Thinking of upgrades already.

May be you can use a C11 EdgeHD reducer and a ADM top dovetail for piggy back ...

or a upgrade for an upgrade, a Microtouch electric focuser upgrade for your Feather touch focuser upgrade.

Congratulation on you scope, looking forward to see some pictures of it and pictures taken by it.

If you are aiming to do DS imaging then you'll want a focal reducer since F10 is not very friendly, though at this focal length you could bin 2X2 with a mono CCD. However, from your cameras I suspect you're talking about planetary?

Olly

May be you can use a C11 EdgeHD reducer and a ADM top dovetail for piggy back ...

or a upgrade for an upgrade, a Microtouch electric focuser upgrade for your Feather touch focuser upgrade.

Hi Keith,

I have already been looking at the ADM and also the Microtouch too funilly enough. I already own a Microtouch/Feathertouch but am thinking of maybe going for the crayford type and adding the Microtouch to that for fine focussing while imaging.

If you are aiming to do DS imaging then you'll want a focal reducer since F10 is not very friendly, though at this focal length you could bin 2X2 with a mono CCD. However, from your cameras I suspect you're talking about planetary?

Olly

Hi Olly

You're correct on the planetary imaging assumption, however, I have noticed that RobH on here has one of these and I think he takes some cracking DS images with it so I may be able to have a try at DS too some day. I understand that the focal reducers are available now for the Edge HD's so it's another upgrade to think about.

Thanks for the replies

Hi Keith,

I have already been looking at the ADM and also the Microtouch too funilly enough. I already own a Microtouch/Feathertouch but am thinking of maybe going for the crayford type and adding the Microtouch to that for fine focussing while imaging.

Hi Olly

You're correct on the planetary imaging assumption, however, I have noticed that RobH on here has one of these and I think he takes some cracking DS images with it so I may be able to have a try at DS too some day. I understand that the focal reducers are available now for the Edge HD's so it's another upgrade to think about.

Thanks for the replies

Rob does not take many images with his C11 though you are right that he takes cracking images! He did post a picture in which he binned 2X2 with the Celestronn, I remember.

Olly

• 2 years later...

Hi Kevin. Just wondered how things have gone so far with your Edge1100. Any upgrades, thoughts etc? Thinking of this scope later this year for lunar and planetary work but also maybe trying the Fastar feature for DS imaging. Your impressions of it so far would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't really give you a true appraisal of it tbh as not long after the purchase I've been assigned to work abroad for the past 2 years therefore my set up is in storage awaiting me to finally get some time to get back out there. My initial thoughts where that it was a very nice scope indeed and I had seen marked improvements from my previous scope but without a lot more time using it, it's just initial thoughts at the moment.

I've been spending a lot of time in the Philippines lately and the skies there are absolutely breath taking compared to Hartlepool's neon orange glow from Teesside. I'm looking at hopefully packing up my complete set up and sending it over there eventually and will also finally get that obsy I've always wanted so hopefully I can get up and running again this year and I'll certainly let you know what my findings are when I get more time out enjoying it all.

Thanks for the enquiry

Archived