What is a nebula filter?

Emission nebula tend to radiate at specific wavelengths of light such as the Oxygen III , and Hydrogen Alpha and Beta lines. Quantum physics at work. ;)

DSO observing is all about the contrast between the object you are trying to observe and the sky background. You obviously want to maximise this. Nebula filters have fairly narrow bandpass around these wavelengths and block the rest of visible spectrum which has the effect of darkening the sky background relative to the object you want to observe.

A Baader UHC-s or other quality makes, I understand the Sky Watcher one gives very good results. However, you do not give us any idea what your scope size is, as a filter of this calibre it is only useful in scopes of 100mm upwards and then used from a reasonably dark site to bring out the best HTH :)

A Baader UHC-s or other quality makes, I understand the Sky Watcher one gives very good results. However, you do not give us any idea what your scope size is, as a filter of this calibre it is only useful in scopes of 100mm upwards and then used from a reasonably dark site to bring out the best HTH :)

I am going to buy a SW 200p. As of now I have a Startracker system. It's a 5" f/7.2 reflector.

If your goal is purely to improve your views of Nebula, UHC will have the biggest contrast gain.

I want to buy a filter that will let me view nebulae as well as galaxies fairly well. Because I live in an area that has some amount of LP.

No filter on the market will allow you to view galaxies better, you need a dark sky spot for this. I recommend the SW UHC filter for emmision nebula, as it will make a great difference, esp. in the 200P. The OIII is also a good filter for the more diffuse nebula. Make sure you are looking at 'visual' filters when shopping and not CCD filters! See also this link about filters: http://www.lumiconfilters.com/index.php

The skywatcher appears to be out of stock on FLO, but I've seen good things about the castell uhc deepsky filter. And its cheaper at 36 quid from 365astronomy.

I'll be getting that 1...

I have to get my scope first. Then will think of the filter. Just wanted to know what types are good!! :)

Archived