NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second light with the Lunt LS35THa: WOW!!

Yesterday I attached my new (secondhand) Lunt to my Vixen Great Polaris EQ mount (a case of no such thing as as too much mount ;) ), and had another go at solar observing in H-alpha. After some annoying clouds finally broke up, I had a go with the Pentax XF 8.5mm (giving a magnification of 47x). The view was just stunning. To the top left I saw two nearly linear prominences I had spotted yesterday, To the lower right there was a complicated arc-like structure (almost like two arc twisted around each other. The surface showed a huge amount of detail, including several sunspots with intricate snake-like patters surrounding them. Awesome!

The Pentax EP turns out to be the most comfortable of my 3 1.25" EPs. It shows the full disk readily, and reveals more detail than the 10mm Radian. The 12mm Nagler also works, but the image is a bit small. The Vixen GP mount keeps the scope rock steady, which is a huge improvement over the lightweight Manfrotto photo tripod I used the day before. The fact that it tracks the sun allows you to focus on the image, without distractions about nudging the scope.

My eldest son had two friends over, and all three had a real WOW moment behind the little scope. Really neat. Actually, both kids had announced "We have a new solar scope!" at school, so apparently they are already trying to claimed it. I quickly pointed out "I have a new solar scope, you may look through it when I say so!"

Bottom line, I am very pleased with the little scope, and cannot wait to have a go at imaging with it.

Caution:

Solar observing and imaging can be very dangerous........ :eek:

To both your sanity and your wallet!!

Once you've had a taste of it - you want more - more aperture (surface resolution) narrower bandwidth ( doppler images and enhanced detail and contrast)...then comes the faster larger mono camera - DMK21 goes to DMK31 and then the DMK41 and now the DMK51....then the processing improvements kick in....new software .....

Beware - I recognise the symptoms

" If pain persists see you nearest solar equipment supplier" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does the Lunt suffer from the same little annoyances as the PST does when it comes to getting focus with certain cameras like having to use a x2 barlow?

I guess it's not much of an issue if it can be overcome easy enough.

I have not tried the SPC900 yet, but I did notice I had to lift the EPs a bit in the focuser and tighten the screw, to achieve focus. Effectively, it is like needing a 1-2cm extension tube to reach focus. This should mean the SPC can reach focus easily. Maybe I can get that working this weekend. Using a 2x barlow may be better anyway, as it will allows sampling of the image at the Nyquist frequency or just above.

Michael,

Many solar observers seem to ignore Mr. Nyquist and concentrate (almost said focus) on getting full disk images....it does reduce resolution but is much easier (and quicker) than working with mosaics.....

Michael,

Many solar observers seem to ignore Mr. Nyquist and concentrate (almost said focus) on getting full disk images....it does reduce resolution but is much easier (and quicker) than working with mosaics.....

True, but there seem to be scopes that do not come to focus without the barlow (or so I am told), and I have seen some neat images of just the area around the prominence. For the time being I will give the SPC 900 a try (not full disc, but beggars can't be choosers)

The original PST was designed as a visual solar scope....when you try to image with the PST "black box" there is very, very limited backfocus - hence the barlow solution.

If you dump the black box (Stage 2 Mod) or use a Lunt there should be ample back focus for CCD type cameras....

Archived