NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help modding WO focuser for ED80.

Spikey

I have recently replaced the stock dual speed crayford focuser on my SW ED80 for one fo the earlier WO models.

The WO doesn't have locking rings or a thread on the draw tube (that I can find) which leaves me with a slight problem trying to make a sturdy connection.

I do have an adapter for my focal reducer which allows insertion into the 2" EP holder but this only has one tightening screw and a small grub screw to hold things in place and it's not adequate.

Would drilling & tapping some new holes for holding screws (at least 3) be a good solution?

To be honest I might even go back to the stock focuser, at least it had threads to screw the FR to.

*cough*better focuser*cough* ;)

Shame really the WO is a much better made piece of kit but it looks like it will be much better at visual and not hanging a load of stuff off the end.

How does your moonlite grip the tube?

My moonlite has three screws, a compression ring, and I opted for the draw tube with the compression ring further down the tube (so it grips the 2" part, not the undercut) ....

It's tighter than a very tight thing gripping tightly :D

Yeh yeh rub it in.....mines floppier than a floppy thing in the wind.

Any particular reason why you didn't go with the steeltrack in the end ?

Personal opinion is the Moonlite is the better engineered focuser ...

but as of recently, the cost of Steeltrack + Steeldrive against Moonlite + Hi Res Stepper Motor .... is far too close with the Baader price increases to warrant it as "saving" anything.

(Edit) Off the top of my head, I think my Moonlite option was actually cheaper than a Steeltrack/Steeldrive combo?!

My set up can virtually run itself once I've got it all outside, auto focus to rediculous accuracy is awesome :D

I find my stock focuser with SW FR/FF, adapter ring and 1100D camera setup to be very rigid - very much better than with the camera straight on the draw tube with SW's adapters. I was going to replace my stock focuser with the SteelTrack but having stripped down the stock focuser and adjusted it, I find it's very much better and even handles my cooling modded 1100D with all the extra bits and plastic box. I set up focus on a bright star with Bahtinov mask then lock the focus and it stays put for hours of imaging session. (Not that I've done much in the last couple of months!)

To be honest I'm not unhappy with the stock focuser but I'm building a USB controlled autofocuser and fancied a sturdier crayford to plonk it all on.

I've got a FR,SX filterwheel and 16HR hanging off the stock one and it has slipped a couple of times meaning I have to get underneath and tighten it all up.

It's not been so bad since I stripped the focuser and tightened it all up.

I fitted a WO focuser to my old modded (custom) 80mm Tasco and though my tube didn't have the screw thread like your tube, I found that I couldn't purchase a suitable adaptor and had one machined instead. It was the much sturdier option.

P1100471.jpg

Archived