Planets (specifically mars) - get a new refractor or stick with newt?

I get worried (not sure if that's the right word) when I see reports of others never (or extremely rarely) getting good views of Mars. I have been resolving detail pretty well every time I have observed Mars this season. it's been my best ever season for the red planet.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get worried (not sure if that's the right word) when I see reports of others never (or extremely rarely) getting good views of Mars. I have been resolving detail pretty well every time I have observed Mars this season. it's been my best ever season for the red planet.

But 16" has it's advantages ;) (even masked).

I am lucky having such a scope but would expect other scopes to provide decent detail - certainly 8" dobs etc. even my 6" f5 gives OK detail including ice caps and main darker markings. I suppose good eyepieces help as does the Baader Neodymium. I also collimate every time too.

I am lucky having such a scope but would expect other scopes to provide decent detail - certainly 8" dobs etc. even my 6" f5 gives OK detail including ice caps and main darker markings. I suppose good eyepieces help as does the Baader Neodymium. I also collimate every time too.

Well, I tried with my 5.1" F/5 when Mars was passed it's best (around 3rd of May ish), and it was almost detail-less, I thought I could make out some darkening of the planet, but not the ice caps (although, surely they will have melted by May?). It's a really difficult planet to get good detail out of, and I think collimation and filters (oh, and aperture) are the only way to get good detail.

Merely out of interest, do you usually get better detail on Mars with your 16" when it's masked or when it's un-masked?

the detail is always better in the 16" unmasked but it's very intermittent with seeing. when masked the same levels of detail is there but it's a somewhat darker more contrasty image - more refractor-like if you will. the image is also much more stable so the detail can be seen over a longer period. I much prefer the masked view.

Umadog..............i welcome your comments and they are valid. I'm pretty sure all my scopes (the ones that need collimated) are in perfect collimation. I have yet to learn how to collimate an SCT.

I honestly think its a case of everythingh looks BRILLIANT for the first time and the brain has happy memories of those observations.

It might also depend on people's definition of "good views." Personally, whilst I've seen some details on Mars virtually every time I've viewed this year, there were only 2 or 3 nights when it was "really good." For me, those are the stand-out nights when you can see more than just, say, the southern polar cap and syrtis major. Smaller features, such as elysium, are tougher targets.

It might also depend on people's definition of "good views." Personally, whilst I've seen some details on Mars virtually every time I've viewed this year, there were only 2 or 3 nights when it was "really good." For me, those are the stand-out nights when you can see more than just, say, the southern polar cap and syrtis major. Smaller features, such as elysium, are tougher targets.

very true. maybe I have lower expectations than most. for me it's good enough to get a clear sky let alone stunning views.

I'm easily pleased. While the views i get of the inner planets (except for Mars) are very pleasing to my eye, i'd still like to see them a bit bigger. For the planets i use a 6-8mm EP with my 8SE. Thats pretty much my max available magnification, unless i use my 4mm Omni.

Could my 8SE handle a 3x barlow or even a 5x?

I'm starting to waffle a bit. I think the weather and the summer in general are installing a dose of cabin fever in me.

Bring on the Autumn

Paul. A 6mm eyepiece is going to give you at least 333X , probably more than your 8SE can use in Ireland on planets on the average. I have a 8SE in Tenerife and can only just manage 450X with good results, I don't think you would have much joy with a 3X or 5X Barlow visually. :smiley:

Paul. A 6mm eyepiece is going to give you at least 333X , probably more than your 8SE can use in Ireland on planets on the average. I have a 8SE in Tenerife and can only just manage 450X with good results, I don't think you would have much joy with a 3X or 5X Barlow visually. :smiley:

I was thinking the same. My 4mm EP is reserved for those once a decade nights when everything is perfect and then i only use it to observe the Moon. As you say...........on the average night in Ireland even using a 6mm EP is pushing it.

I guess because of my location, i am stuck using an 8mm EP with my SCT on the planets. I like the views...............i just wanted to increase the mag...........but obviously local weather conditions do not allow for that.

I really need to sell my Lisbon (Portugal) apartment and find something in the Algarve, and use it more then i do right now.

Archived