vpgaliet

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL, Vince!

Baseball fan?

Dana

ex-USAF

Hi Dana - Unfortunately no, I'm not much of a baseball fan. College football is very popular here and after going to a couple games, it's hard not to become of fan as the game day experience is a lot of fun. My wife and I do try and get out a few times each year to support the local triple A team, the Omaha Storm Chasers. They just moved last year to a brand new stadium close to where I live and the game day experience there is also fun. But I just wouldn't call us avid fans. Thanks for the welcome!

Vince

Vince,

Welcome from another Midwesterner! And definitely no need to apologize, as I really enjoyed your 'ramble'. It's nice to 'hear' someone else's passion for the hobby, and you expressed yours quite well!

Quick question... Have you investigated/visited your local astronomy users group/association? I ask because parts of Nebraska have some of the darkest skies in North America (and yes, being near Chicago, I know said dark sky locales are probably a few miles further out from downtown Omaha (pained smile)), and astronomy groups often have private "dark sky sites" available for member use. Also, the fellow members you meet will have a wealth of advice you'll be able to harvest on a one-on-one basis.

Once again, welcome, and clear (and dark) skies!

Thanks for the welcome! The local astronomy club is a great idea. I just recently discovered the local groups website, the Omaha Astronomical Society (OAS). As I understand it, they are co-sponsors with several other astronomy groups throughout this state for the annual Nebraska Star Party. I've never heard of this before, but as I understand it it's a pretty popular gathering. I won't be able to attend this year as my vacation schedule from work doesn't line up with the July dates, but I'm planning on being there in the future for as many times as I can.

The OAS does have their own site on private land south of the city. It looks to be in a yellow-green area on a bortle scale map so I bet it's a lot nicer than my backyard. I should be able to attend their next monthly meeting and join up.

Thanks again,

Vince

I was going aak some pretty daft questions when I saw the title of your post. But you have documented a really accurate account of astronomy for so many people. Well written and you didn't go on that much. Welcome to SGL.

Hi from all on SGL. You'll find us a friendly bunch and there is a weath of astronomical knowledge on here and everyone is more than willing to share it. I don't go anywhere else for info relating to astronomy these days

All the best

Thanks for the welcome! The local astronomy club is a great idea. I just recently discovered the local groups website, the Omaha Astronomical Society (OAS). As I understand it, they are co-sponsors with several other astronomy groups throughout this state for the annual Nebraska Star Party. I've never heard of this before, but as I understand it it's a pretty popular gathering. I won't be able to attend this year as my vacation schedule from work doesn't line up with the July dates, but I'm planning on being there in the future for as many times as I can.

Vince,

At least two fellow members of my group, the Naperville Astronomical Association, will be in attendence at this year's annual Nebraska Star Party, one of whom has been multiple years. From what I hear, the skies are breathtaking! Clear (and dark) skies!!

• 1 month later...

Archived