Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ3 Mount

Hi All

Does anyone on know if an AZ3 mount will handle a 127 MAK?

I have looked at the Skywatcher website but it only states that it's good for larger spotter scopes (which I presume the MAK is similar to).

It looks sturdy enough but I was wondering if any one had this set up and could comment on it.

I used a Celestron C5 on an AZ-3 and it worked quite well. I think the C5 is about the same weight / size as a 127mm Mak. I made sure I used a lightweight dew shield to avoid unbalancing things.

I took my 127 Mak on holiday last year and had it on the AZ3. It was ok. I tend to swap between the ST120 and 127 Mak on the AZ3 and they're both usable, but I'd not want to put much more weight on it than those.

James

I put my sw130 on an az3 and it was fine, does show up the design flaw in the az3 though, the alt bolt needs to be loose enough to move when you want it to but tight enough to stop the weight of the scope moving it, I'd say a mak would be ok but my 900mm reflector did move the mount a bit.

The az4 would be a better bet

Archived