NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron X-Cel LX and Startravel 120

Diddydo75

Hi,

I have been trawling the forum and feel that I will go with the Celestron eyepieces and eventually a Tal barlow. The 120 is an F5 scope and was wondering if the X-Cels will be ok to use with it. I did consider the WO SPL eyepieces but the range is more limited than the X-cels and though that sticking to one set for now would be the wiser choice. Has anyone used these eyepieces in the ST120?

Best wishes

Dale

The Xcel-lx should work well with the ST120 Dale. I haven't used them but they are very well regarded by many members on the forum. The Meade 5000 HD-60 is reported to be the same eyepiece albeit with a couple of variations in focal lengths at the high end.

I've had my X-Cels a couple of weeks now and although I'm an astro noob and havn't had that many sessions yet, I'm more than happy with them. Wanted better FOV and eye relief than the stock SW EP's that came with my scope and I did alot of research before my purchase. Did read quite alot about EP's even before I got the scope. I have compared the SW stock 25mm to the X-Cel 25mm and if my mind isn't playing tricks on me, I can see that the contrast is a fair bit of better as well.

Many thanks for the replies, its always good to hear positive comments about an item you are considering purchasing. Im sure I will notice the difference over the stock ep's.

Best wishes

Dale

I would go with the BST's in all honesty but it is your call. Sorry I can't quote people but some have said the quality difference is very slight.

I don't own either, so just go with what you want ;).

Yes they do look like good value and many people here rate them. I saw a comment stating that the 25mm was not the best though. does anyone have the 25 and can give their opinion? Would be nice if I got three eyepieces from the same series if possible.

Many thanks

Dale

I would say go with Nick, the 18mm and 12mm, good ranges. I have used the 25mm BST and it's not bad at all, it's just that the 18mm and below are such good performers that you tend to look more critically when viewing through the 25mm. I am quite happy with the views I get from mine.

If you're looking for value, and after reading many threads on here, I'd go for a decent plossl on 15mm and above, possiblely even down to 12mm, where eye relief is not an issue.

It does look like the BST's are better than the npl range, but are they 17 quid per ep better? Personal choice, but the vixen npl's would be my choice.

The vixens do seem good value and again are held in high regard considering their price. I could get the 25 and 15 npl's and then the 7 xcel. the eye relief as you point out spec-chum should not be to tight. I do appreciate the replies

Many thanks

Dale

Well I have ordered the BST's. I noticed that skys the limit sell them on Ebay so I got the 25, 15 and 8 to start off with. They were £47 except for the 25 which, was £41.

i'm sure they will be a big improvement over the standard ep's that I currently have.

Many thanks for all of your input, it was not easy to choose and I think I have driven my wife crazy over the last few days!

Regards

Dale

Archived