Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader zoom vs fixed focal lengths

im about to purchase the zoom however i remember reading that the baader hyperion zoom although it does cover the ranges it loses a certain quality compared to the fixed focal lengths... can someone explain to me what it is that is traded off for the zoomability

i think for me id like to keep just one EP in rather than keep changing over but at what cost

thanks

Depends in where your priorities lie. If your main plan is to do visual then fixed EP from baader will give a better FOV in relation to the zoom settings. Also you will find them sharper. Having said that as a Zoom owner I find it perfectly adequate in most situations and the easy of use with one EP covering the evening viewing is excellent. However on evenings of perfect seeing (rare) I do prefer to use a fixed EP particularly on planetary objects so I have a 5mm and 17mm for those occasions soon to be added to with a wide field 31mm Baader Asperic ;)

Sent from tapatalk

Personally I would be a bit wary of the Baader zoom eyepieces at the moment. Their QC seems to have gone out the window at present.

They have some issues with them sticking on any sort of chilly nights. One of my observing buddies is on his third one. :eek:

The second one wouln't fit in a 2" focuser. What the hell was that all about? The skirt was the wrong size???icon_scratch.gif

its a great shame as they're a pretty good eyepiece if they could sort the problems out.

Steve, It's interesting to hear about the problems with the Baader Zoom, as they are usually such a first rate company. I'm not much of a zoomer myself, but I have heard good things in general about the Baader.

I'd say the Zoom is better than stock EP's typically supplied with a scope. Having a MkII Zoom which have never had a bad reputation. I have no experience of the sticking problems some MkIII owners have reported. But I think Baader would have worked hard to cure any such problem. Despite some reports there are many happy users out there

Sent from tapatalk

Archived