Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lantic Bay

LukeSuppalot

Hi all.

Took another ride down to Lantic Bay today (went to the wrong place last time) to see if it would make a suitable dark site to add to our growing list.

After riding around in circles for ages I finally found Pencarrow car-park. Bit of a dissapointment I'm afraid. The views South are ok above 10 degrees but everything else is somewhat compromised. The Eastern views are blocked by a tree lined bank whilst everything else looks like it'll suffer from LP, Fowey to the SW, St. Austell to the W and Bodmin to the NW.

I took a couple of photos anyway

Looking Southpost-20416-0-83148900-1340033521_thumb.j

Looking NWpost-20416-0-11937800-1340033658_thumb.j

Looking Westpost-20416-0-23388600-1340033831_thumb.j

True to form it rained on the way home but I was prepared for it this time and had the phone in a plastic bag so it kept nice and dry. Wish I'd taken my waterproofs tho.

Ah well, back to the drawing board or rather the LP map.

Luke

Lantic is a good spot if there's any wind but it pays to be organised before you get there. Before I leave home I just work out what constellations will be in that direction and plan my objects I want to see.

The views from SE to SW are over the sea so no LP and last time I was there the winter Milky Way looked pretty stunning!

Another good sheltered spot nearby is in the National Trust car park at Lansallos.

There's a big hedge that will shelter you from SW winds and good views to the north. ;)

Hi guys - south east to south west sounds quite good come autumn/winter - I tend to find most of my viewing is in a southerly direction, though north can be good too.

Thanks for the info Luke and for taking the time to go have a look for us. However i guess that riding that bike is a joy and it makes me feel I wish I could got back 20 years to when i had a couple, what model did you say it was?

Another good sheltered spot nearby is in the National Trust car park at Lansallos.

There's a big hedge that will shelter you from SW winds and good views to the north. ;)

Lol. Rode past it 3 times trying to work out where I was. Finally stopped there to get the satnav out. About 300metres towards Lansallos on the opposite side of the road is a National trust campsite with good southerly views. £4 a night should you/we want to pitch up for an all nighter. It's not attended so you just pop your money in an envelope and post it in the box at the entrance.

As for the bike Richard, it's a 2001 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer 1000, basically an R1 with a sensible riding position and a saddle that doesn't feel like you're sitting on a plank after 5 minutes. If you're going to the NLO fest you can take it for a spin if you like.

Lol. Rode past it 3 times trying to work out where I was. Finally stopped there to get the satnav out. About 300metres towards Lansallos on the opposite side of the road is a National trust campsite with good southerly views. £4 a night should you/we want to pitch up for an all nighter. It's not attended so you just pop your money in an envelope and post it in the box at the entrance.

As for the bike Richard, it's a 2001 Yamaha FZ1 Fazer 1000, basically an R1 with a sensible riding position and a saddle that doesn't feel like you're sitting on a plank after 5 minutes. If you're going to the NLO fest you can take it for a spin if you like.

That sound too good to turn down, unfortunately rubbish eyesight means I don't have a licence anymore (I'm a diabetic and it has affected my vision quite a bit - can still get around OK but the DVLA say noooooo....), but I appreciate the offer.

That sound too good to turn down, unfortunately rubbish eyesight means I don't have a licence anymore (I'm a diabetic and it has affected my vision quite a bit - can still get around OK but the DVLA say noooooo....), but I appreciate the offer.

A big comfy saddle means room for a pillion if you're up for it. Got to make room in your car for a couple of Dobs. :grin: All I'd have to do then is work out how to get my wife home. I'm sure there must be a bus that would take her to within 5 miles of home and she could hitch the rest. Mmmmm... might let someone else suggest that to her. I don't think I'm that brave.

Was that just up the road from the church?

Have you had a look at the Narkurs site yet?

Certainly hope to be there, have just emailed a guest house at Newton Poppleford which is apparently dog friendly, so it looks like you and I might well be up for it Luke, plus the two who will actually be working there and it will be good to put faces to the names.

Not sure I can manage to get your Dobs home for you though as we will be going there straight from our holiday so will be loaded with luggage and two dogs - could probably manage a couple of refractors though!

Was that just up the road from the church?

Have you had a look at the Narkurs site yet?

Yes that's the place. Might be worth looking at one evening if any of us are over that way. Couldn't see any obvious lights anywhere but knowing my luck there'll be a 1000 watt sunflood hidden somewhere with sensor that can be triggered by a gnats cough .

The Narkurs site looks good. Only had a quick look round. See what you mean about parking. The second gateway isn't that far away tho. If you're planning a trip to Narkurs and fancy some company just let me know. I could do with a few tips on using a Dob at higher mag. My gentle nudges seem to either just wobble the image in the eyepiece or move it so far that I have to use the finderscope to get back on track.

I'II start heading out to dark sites again next month, just not enough real dark time at the moment so I'm just observing from my garden but yep will be good to have some company this winter. :)

You need to add a 'lazy susan bearing' to your dob base so its not as juddery at high mags, take a look at this thread I did it on my 8" and it makes it so much better to use and only costs about £12 to do.

You need to add a 'lazy susan bearing' to your dob base so its not as juddery at high mags, take a look at this thread http://stargazerslou...t/#entry1198736 I did it on my 8" and it makes it so much better to use and only costs about £12 to do.

Thanks for that Mike. One should be winging its way to me as we speak.

Archived