Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear skies for once but don't know what to image HELP!

austen4

Hello all,

Im in need of some help. It is forcasted to be clear a couple of nights this week but I have nothing to image or well i do but i have some questions.

I was thinking about imaging the NGC 7023 (trifed nebula) but I dont have a modded camera, is mine still capable? (its a canon 400d).

I was also thinking about the whirlpool galaxy but i wanted to capture a nebula. I would like to image Eagle Nebula but im not sure if im able to with it being fairly low. Im south of london if that helps but has anyone got another other suggestions?

I have had a look on Stellarium but its not as good as peoples word.

My kit is shown below is my sig.

Thank you all.

Hi Austen,

NGC 7023 is actually the Iris nebula - which is a pretty good target for an unmodded camera because it is a reflection nebula. You only need an Ha-sensitive / modded camera for emission nebulosity, such as found in the Eagle.

The nights are very short however; it doesn't even get properly dark at the moment with the solstace only a couple of days away on the 20th. Perhaps with 2 nights on the same target you can get some results!

Hi Austen,

NGC 7023 is actually the Iris nebula - which is a pretty good target for an unmodded camera because it is a reflection nebula. You only need an Ha-sensitive / modded camera for emission nebulosity, such as found in the Eagle.

The nights are very short however; it doesn't even get properly dark at the moment with the solstace only a couple of days away on the 20th. Perhaps with 2 nights on the same target you can get some results!

thanks! and yea sorry, i mistake :p. Could I get fairly good results without a Ha filter? on NGC 7023 and the Eagle?

An Ha filter is no use on the Iris nebula as it is a reflection (and dark) nebula. A light pollution filter alone would be ideal. You'll struggle to pick up the dusty dark nebula surrounding the Iris because the skies aren't dark enough, but you should be able to get some results on the central reflection nebula.

You might be able to pick up signs of the eagle nebula, but bear in mind an unmodified camera is very insensitive to Ha! You'd need several times longer exposure, not a luxury that can be afforded this time of year!

I suggest something a bit brighter such as a star cluster. M13 would be a good start. Galaxies and nebulae are lovely but are generally fainter and need longer exposures.

M51 is one of my favourites :) One reason is that it's easy to recognise without too long an exposure. It's got a nice lot of colour in it too. Bit tricky to process though.

M51 is one of my favourites :) One reason is that it's easy to recognise without too long an exposure. It's got a nice lot of colour in it too. Bit tricky to process though.

yea so easy to find and image :p but still really nice to galaxy. Well this is what i got last night. Stacked in DSS and then edited in PSD. Im actually quite happy with the results but need more darks. Hopefully going to collect some more subs tonight as I needed sleep last night for paperround in the morning ;). However, I have some wierdly shaped stars, any tips? And focus is out a bit.

made up of :

7 x 5min darks

5 x 7.5min lights

13 x 5min lights

UwWRf.jpg

Thanks!

Archived