Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Outdoor Security

oly2b

Some photos of a lock I made to restrict access to the M12 cap head screw holding down my NEQ6 to adaptor plate on my garden pier.

This conists of 3/4" steel gas pipe and connector, with a square plate welded on the bottom.

The pipe expands allowing the padlock to be fitted, this device cannot be removed as it fills the gap between the plates.

All other fasteners have shear nuts fitted.

post-15188-0-05852400-1339846446_thumb.j

post-15188-0-92151600-1339846474_thumb.j

post-15188-0-16703300-1339846526_thumb.j

post-15188-0-36153000-1339846544_thumb.j

Security is one of my concerns regarding the observatory but I have it in my mind that where theres a will theres a way. What I have done is make it as difficult as possible for any chav to enter the garden, if they do get in they will remember it for awhile to come :D, I hope I have as much defences as I have learnt to use in years gone by.

Jim

One thing to toss into the mix is how a potential thief would view this.

I think it's implausible that anyone with dishonest intent would recognise your mount and think "Oooh, there's a nice GOTO mount, I'll remove it carefully to sell it to an astronomer". It's almost a dead cert. that the only thought would be "there's a couple of quids worth of scrap metal - how can I get most of it off, in the quickest way possible?"

With that in mind, the only effective security is to make it sledge-hammer proof (in a way that leaves it unscarred and working) or to ensure that no bad people get to see it, when they're scouting your road for opportunities.

The 9" plastic tube is concrete filled with rebar going into 600 x 900 x 1000 concrete, I think the only way to remove the mount would be cutting it off the pier with a stihle saw and has my garden is surround on three sides with retired people there a good chance of arising the alarm.

post-15188-0-31458600-1339865589_thumb.j

post-15188-0-91045000-1339865625_thumb.j

One thing to toss into the mix is how a potential thief would view this.

I think it's implausible that anyone with dishonest intent would recognise your mount and think "Oooh, there's a nice GOTO mount, I'll remove it carefully to sell it to an astronomer". It's almost a dead cert. that the only thought would be "there's a couple of quids worth of scrap metal - how can I get most of it off, in the quickest way possible?"

Yeah i agree with you lol! However I would probably do the same tbh just for piece of mind.

Sent from my GT-I8150 using Tapatalk 2

Any way, how secure is mount in a wooden obs, with a typical hut door used, a determined thief could be in within minute with a crow bar and off with mount, scope etc

The mount can be removed by takening the padlock off, screwing down the locking device so that it can be remove and so exposing the M12 bolt which secures it to the NEQ6 adaptor.

All expose other fasterners are covered up or have security shear nuts fitted.

Oly,

Good effort, anything to at least slow down or just make life difficult for a would be thief has got to be worth while. What about insurance, I guess given the value of astro kit it would need to be specifically named and identified as being in the garden (out of the house). Does anyone carry specific insurance policies for their kit? I don't have an obsy yet but it's in the planning and I guess security has to be taken seriously in the design stage.

Oh, I forgot to ask you appear to have ramped the footing at the base of your pier - if you don't mind me asking what was your reasoning here? Just curious about all obsy design at the moment!

Jim

The way I see it, no matter what you do there will always be the scrotes who if they cannot get something will do as much damage as possible so with that in mind it is my intention to hurt them before they hurt me hence the obstacle course they have to endure before they get to anything worthwhile in my paradise :D. Have no interest in their "uman roights" and have every intention of not making life easy for them.

Jim

Oh, I forgot to ask you appear to have ramped the footing at the base of your pier - if you don't mind me asking what was your reasoning here? Just curious about all obsy design at the moment!

The plastic tube sits on a 3" spigot cast proud of the main foundation block, rebar goes into the main foundation.

The 9" plastic tube was filled the day after the main foundation keying onto the rebar and a central length of scaffolding pole.

After all set there was a undercut where the spigot mould was removed therefore I just mixed some motar to form the flange around the bottom of the tube/foundation interface. No real purpose just felt like doing it

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very timely topic for me as I am currently in the final stages of designing a roll-off roof obs in my yard. I am of course concerned about security and I'll take every step to ensure it is as secure as possible. I am fortunate to know a locksmith who'll provide me with some good deadbolts etc.

Prior to going down the permanent obs path I was always amused how freely some - not all - amateur astronomers on forums and personal websites offer a lot of information and photos about their location. I feel this may one day compromise their security, but then again, if some crook wants to break in, he's going to without any regard for what's inside the shed or dome, isn't he?

For my part I have a website and I'm more than happy to share photos on this very friendly site as I'm also comfortable in the knowledge that there are only 3 or 4 other amateur astronomers outside my family who know what's being stored in the shed down the back of the garden.

Since my last post on this thread I have again started to modify my obsy by attaching an outer room. The obsy itself will be strengthend with security in mind, small inside and more minimalist with the extra running gear in the outer room. Hopefully I will get it right but as said if someone is determined they will get in anyway, hopefully by putting in a few security features the damage will be kept to a minimum before alarms go off, fingers crossed :).

Jim

Couldn't a thief just unscrew the top plate on the 4 bolts?

All bolts have shear nuts fitted

Ah, I just googled shear nuts. Now I understand. But that means you yourself can't remove the mount adapter either?

Shear nuts can be excellent, I use hundreds in my work, however, they are pretty poor in the situation used above. If you were to undo the nut under the plate by as little as 1/4~1/2 a turn, the shear nut above the plate would then be removable by hand, no tools required. The best solution is to apply "Loctite" or similar to the threads/shear nut just before shearing off, this should prevent removal. hth

Archived