First light with Astromaster 130!

I just got in from my first ever peek through the new scope... I've only ever messed about with 7x50 binos and a department store scope before.

WOW, what a difference! I know it sounds silly, but I'm truly amazed!

I got my mount polar aligned to start with, which took me about half an hour because I'm completely new to EQ mounts and their setup. Wasn't too tricky when I thought about it, but still took me a while.

I then decided to split Mizar - Easily identifiable target, but still took longer than expected because I was still learning how to move the EQ mount. I know it's an easy target and probably nothing to get excited about, but I ran inside and dragged my dad out to have a look. By this time it had moved out of my field of view, but a few twists of the RA control soon sorted that. Yay for a half decent attempt at polar alignment!

I then moved on to try and find M81 and M82. These were much harder to find, but I think I got a glimpse just before the clouds rolled in... Not certain as I only got about a second of faint fuzzyness before it all got covered over :embarassed: . I'm hoping if I describe it, some of you will be able to confirm :). It looked like a small fuzzy grey patch, brighter in the middle than the edges, but with no identifiable features. There was also a slightly slimmer fuzzy patch to the right and slightly above the first one. I had been searching for a few minutes just scanning the area, and drifted past it before I could focus properly. I scanned back, but the clouds covered over before I could even find it again, let alone swap out the 25mm for a 10mm EP.

I'm absolutely hooked - I think I'm about to spend hours on Stellarium instead of going to sleep, which is a TERRIBLE idea because I have work tomorrow :rolleyes: .

Clear skies,

Ginger

Congrats on the new scope! I am the bearer of good news... your description is exactly that of M81 and M82. on a clearer night, they are probably the best pair of galaxies (besides M31) to view in a small telescope.

Hi and thanks for your first light report. Good stuff considering the sky quality / cloud cover. I'm not too far away from you (just across the border in central Herts). I caught a glimpse of Arcturus / Spica / Saturn plus Summer Triangle at about 11pm but as I had just finished at an astro club we were too busy packing away and chatting to do any serious observing and when I reached home the sky was back to cloud again!

One word of advice, you may want to post future observing reports in the relevant section.

We just can't get enough of that astro stuff :laugh:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section - I've almost lived in the beginner section as it's where I feel most at home :grin: .

I guess I can cross those two off my "to see" list then! Of course I'll be heading back for a better look when the clouds finally move on....

I would have loved to see saturn... It's probably my favourite planet and I've never even seen it through a telescope! Jupiter being close second. Unfortunately I couldn't see either due to the high tree line around my garden, but the torrential rain we've had over the last few days put me off driving to a darker, more open site :embarrassed: .

Hopefully the clouds will clear away soon and I'll be able to see more!

Ginger

I'm sorry if this is the wrong section - I've almost lived in the beginner section as it's where I feel most at home :grin: .

Just mentioned it in case the mods move it to the Observing section. I had the same decision when I posted my first observing report Sunday morning - it was a report but I'd used binoculars so which sub-forum to post it in :icon_scratch:

Good stuff! Certainly sounds like M81 and M82. First two Messier objects found! There some of the harder ones to locate, actually, since they're fairly far from bright stars. You'll have an easier time with many of the others.

agree with bunnygod 1 - the best is yet to come. Not a bad time to get your scope though Ginger - gives you a little time to get used to your new mount before you take it further afield. M81 & M82 if you can get them in the same field of view always remind me of sausage and egg - one cigar shaped the other round- could be that I just haven't had my breakfast yet though lol. I'm not sure why this wouldn't be appropriate in the beginners section though - seems fair enough to me.

I always enjoy reading first light reports. Your excitement comes across well. Hopefully lots more to come. I'm not thatvfarvinfront of you having only had my scope for about 2 months. Still loving it. The polar alignment/eq mount is a worthwhile investment in time but it will get easier and quicker with practice

Nice one Ginge!!!

I am jealous as my scope is now assembled and waiting for its first use... however as I am doing some study with the OU atm and I have to complete a project by next month I am somewhat grounded from tinkering with it :-( so in some ways I am happy its a bit cloudy as it stops me being distracted.

Good to be off the starting grid.. well done and keep the updates coming!

I would have loved to see saturn... It's probably my favourite planet and I've never even seen it through a telescope! Ginger

Saturn is great through that scope - a really beautiful view. If you can, try it through something like an 8mm (I've got the BST explorer which is great) - a lovely clear view, with some colour variation on the planet itself. I'm still trying to see the cassini division though. :rolleyes:

Glad you got on well with your scope on your fist night out.

Also, I see you attempted M81 and M82. Congratulations on finding it. The slimer one (M82) incidentally is also known as the Cigar Galaxy, primarily on account of its long and slim shape. Here is a not too pic I found for comparison:

http://www.astropix....ING/M81_M82.HTM

More detail here than you might have seen in your scope but hopefully enough to confirm your observation.

Great report, good to get that first look through your own scope.

Well done on getting your polar alignment pretty good, can be tricky until you get the hang of it.

Don't knock Mizar I always have a look when it's there to be seen.

When the weather improves and the nights get darker you'll have some great nights.

Good luck and clear skies.

Always exiting to see your first of anything. Got my first view of ISS and an Iridium flare on saturday so know the feeling.

I'm no expert but try looking at a neighbouring object when looking at faint fuzzies and you will catch more detail through averted vision, it does work.

Archived