Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Optics Jump

Okay, so I was thinking of my next scope. It's going to be a while down the line as I really can't afford it with everything else for the next year or so. But one can always dream.

I've often heard about the jump to a much bigger aperture is often a "wow" moment in itself, but how big would I need to go up to to get the best of this?

I'm now on a 5.1" scope, and was thinking the next one I jump to may be a 10" or 12", I ideally want the scope to last a while, but will not be doing any AP, how would a 12" suit? I know the 12" is about 5'11" (I think), and I'm thinking a solid tube may be better as it doesn't need a light shroud, and hopefully storage won't be a problem (although it might prove to be), is the solid tube much heavier than the flex?

P.S. Sorry if I've got any sizes wrong ;).

flextubes are generally a little heavier than the solid tubes ironically. the jump from a 5" to either a 10" or 12" would be superb at the eyepiece. I went from 6" to 12" to 16" and the jump each time is significant, although so is the jump in size too. I'd recommend to get to a meeting locally and try to get an idea of sizes etc first before committing. I'd have no hesitation recommending either size you mention but I bought the 12" thinking I'd always be wondering what the 12" would have been like had I got the 10".

I jumped from 6" (F/8 Newt) to 8" (in a neat little lightweight SCT package), and the effect was certainly one of "wow". Going from 5.1" to 10" would certainly give a wow effect, and jumping to a 12" would be a wow even from my 8". I would have a close look at the 10" and 12", and see them in the flesh as it were. They are really big scopes.

I think I did get my sizes wrong, isn't the 10" about 5'9" stood up? I keep thinking that if I go for the 10", I'll always wonder about the 12", and time between upgrading might be a while...

I do wonder what a jump of 5.1" to 16" would be at the eyepiece though :D.

I don't think there's that much difference in height between the 6", the 8" and the 10" SW dobs as they all have the same rough focal length of about 1200mm. scopes start to get big at 12" I think.

the view through my 16" even in LP is amazing.

The 10" may be better value for money thinking about it, especially going for the solid tube, £440 ish as opposed to about £800 ish..

When it gets to 16", Skywatcher or Lightbridge?

Orion Optics! I was lucky to buy my primary, tube and rings used and then made or bought the rest for a very small sum compared with a new version from OO. I'd certainly recommend OOUK optics and if you are handy with basic tools, anyone can make their own scope.

You know, the 12" doesn't look that big :D :D. I'm 6ft, but might need to build up some strength to be able to lift the thing :Envy: . The size no longer worries me after seeing the pictures, portability might not be the best though, how are these things at being transported by car (I'll eventually own one with my OH... :rolleyes: )?

I have to ask, OOUK 12" or Skywatcher 12" for optical quality? (I'm not the best at DIY...)

I want from a 6" to a solid 10" (but looked through 8" and 12" as well before deciding) the 10" suits my storage and transport possibilities and was the best value to my eyes. 6" to 8" was a big jump, 8" to 10" is a reasonable difference, 10" to 12" was much closer. My next aperture upgrade will be to a Lightbridge 16", but that is some way off and I'll keep the 10" as a grab and go even then.

I went from 5" to 8" and the difference is massive so jumping to a 10 or 12 will blow you away, as long as your eyepieces don't let you down.

An 8" dob is a comfy lift, 10 ok but 12 and above starts to get awkward, not so much weight but the width hampers you, I've lifted a 12" flex tube and could only carry it in short waddles for fear of tripping over it, and I'm a big guy.

Archived