NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finderscope Storage Advice

I've just bought a skywatcher 200p dob and i would like to know if it is OK to leave the finderscope attached on the telescope whilst in storage (i am storing it in the garage covered up as I do not have room indoors).The finder is a 9x50 Right Angled Erect Image finder. Does anybody know about this?

I would leave the finderscope on permanently, otherwise it will need re-aligning every time you want to use the scope. That would be a real pain especially for thos short sessions we occasionaly grab.

clear skies, Den.

I would leave the finderscope on permanently, otherwise it will need re-aligning every time you want to use the scope. That would be a real pain especially for thos short sessions we occasionaly grab.

clear skies, Den.

Most have a dovetail plate Dan, which enables them to be accurately returned to the OTA with no realignment issues.

Just put the lens caps on front and rear........and yes the dovetail slot is pretty accurate if you do decide to take it off....if you don't have a Telrad there really cool bit of kit and 100% accurate when removed and replaced...

I would take it off. I have seen many secondhand scopes with tube damage (including the one I have now) around the finderscope shoe.

It would seem people forget about the finder when carrying the scope through doorways and clout it on the doorframe, hence denting the tube.

I always remove mine at the end of a session and replace it when the scope is outside cooling and do a quick alignment before use.

It only takes a minute and can save some costly damage.

Paul

Just put the lens caps on front and rear........and yes the dovetail slot is pretty accurate if you do decide to take it off....if you don't have a Telrad there really cool bit of kit and 100% accurate when removed and replaced...

Not so convinced about Telrad resiting. Mine requires a slight tweak quite often. It's very easy to do and presents no problem. But it isn't quite as accurate as my RACI finder resiting.

Archived