Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quick query

How easy is it to control from a laptop? Is any software needed?

The cable only costs £25, so is it better to buy the EQ6 and a cable, or spend the extra money on the handset version?

N.B Sorry about all the questions! :p

Yes you need a few bits of software installed, they are all free. There's a couple of different ways of doing it.

The caveat of course is you always needs your PC out with the scope every night you want to control it through GOTO.

Alternatively with the handset, you align as above, but then tap the details into the handset of where you want to go, and don't need a PC.

I bought the syntrek version and made my own lead for 18 pounds. Very easy to connect up just install eqmod, carte du ciel and Ascom platform.

Dead easy and loads of people around to help.

The question is do you mainly want to use it out and about or at home?

(maybe that if you just want to grab and go to a dark site the handset is usefull)

if you are fine with needing a pc for goto (i have an obs so its a no brainer for me) theb get syntrek.

You can buy the handset later on.

As to whether to buy it initially or not, I feel that's a decision you have to make yourself :)

Neil has an obsy, I set up each night outside in my garden, we both don't see the need for the GOTO handset.

Couple of guys I know go out to dark sites every chance they get, they wouldn't dream of taking a laptop therefore GOTO is required.

How do YOU want to use the mount?

I'll be using it primarily in the garden, so taking the laptop out isn't an issue. If I do take the scope anywhere else it will not be often, but I'm just pondering whether the handset is worth it as a long term investment? I guess it's better to buy without the handset, and then I can always think about purchasing it at a later point if I really want?

Stephen and Neil are spot-on. I bought mine with the handset mostly because I know that it won't be too long before my children want to use it and the handset may well be easier for them to pick targets from, but also because it does mean that I can use the GOTO without a PC if I need to. There are other SGL users who like to have a handset because they don't trust computers. Unless you can pick one up second-hand (and they do come up from time to time when people commit to using a PC for control all the time and want to recoup a bit of cash) I'm fairly certain it's cheaper to buy it with the scope rather than afterwards.

James

Oh, well I know I probably sound lazy, but it just seems like buying the handset will reduce a huge amount of effort and make transportation etc. easier...

I'll think about it, but it feels like I might as well get the handset and just make life easier for myself, especially knowing my laptop's tempremental behaviour! :grin:

Archived