Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sorry another question

As Andrew has suggested, measure the diameter of the hole that the eyepieces go in at the end of the tube that goes in and out when you focus the scope - it will either be around 25mm across or 32mm. If it's 32mm then the scope fits the standard 31.7mm eyepieces which is good news (the ones I am selling are that size). If it's the smaller size then you will need to look around for the 24.5mm eyepieces which are harder to find I'm afraid.

Hope that helps a bit !.

John

There are only 3 sizes 1 inch 1.25 inch and 2 inch. I suspect your scope is either 1 or 1.25 inch. 1.25 inch is about (actually I think it may be exactly) the same diameter as the little black tube that 25mm films come it. So if its smaller than that then it's 1" and bigger than that will be 2".

So, did you get the 70mm scope in the ad? Chances are it's .965" (Just under 1".) Otherwise, it is probably 1.25". You can get decent .965" Plossl eps from Antares, or you may find that there is a plastic .965" adapter stuck into your 1.25" focuser, which you can simply remove when you get some 1.25" eps. Most likely, your scope is supplied with a cheap 1.25" ep. My brother-in-law has a scope like this, with a plastic 1.25" Kellner 20mm eyepiece that all in all, isn't too bad. (The lenses are glass!)

I would suggest you get a 2x Barlow from Celestron, and a 32mm Plossl, in that order. If the 20mm ep supplied with the scope is of particularly low quality, or .965", you should replace it with a 20mm Plossl from a decent supplier. This would give you a range of magnifications of 30, 50, 60, and 100. The 70mm scope has a theoretical limit of 140x, but unless your skies are excellent, 100x is probably the best you can expect. Most amateur viewing is done at about 60x to 120x, however, so don't fret. 30x is a nice mag for looking at open clusters, and searching for objects.

Best of luck.

And, I just read the thread where you said what kind of telescope you got. I am so glad you went to 76mm. I would suggest adding a 12mm, a 2x Barlow, and eventually a 32mm, of any decent manufacturers, and eventually you may want to replace the 20mm you got with it. You should be OK. Hope you have decent skies.

hi warthog thanks for the replies,can you tell me what i will be able to see with this scope?

Leanne

That's a bit hard to answer, as it's not a question of what you can see, but how well you can see it. In good skies you should be able to see bands on Jupiter, and clearly see the rings on Saturn, but not details on the rings. You will be able to split many double stars, and clusters should be a joy to look at. Try everything.

Look up tonight, and you will see a cross-shaped constellation. That is Cygnus,, the Swan. Put your tripod as high as it will go, and start with the bright star at the top of the cross, and slowly travel down the upright of the cross to the bottom, going south. You will see a very rich star field, which ends in the beautiful double star Albireo (gold and blue) If you go a little further, you may pick up a group of stars known as the 'coathanger' which it roughly resembles.

Turn north towards the Plough, and if you follow from the star on the lower left of the blade, through the star on the upper right, and continue for the same distance in that direction, in good skies you will see two fuzzy objects, M81 and 82, galaxies 12,000,000 light years away. Also, prowl the outskirts of Cassiopeia, the 'W' shaped constellation; it has quite a few clusters around it. Don't worry about what they are, just enjoy the view.

What sort of area are you in? Is it rural, or right downtown in all kinds of electric light?

Archived