NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dual axis help

hi all,

i just bought & fitted a dual axis rc motor to my neq3-2 mount

my question is i dont see the r.a axis turning even faintly like i do the dec axis is this normal ?

i know i have fitted it correctly (followed instructions & videos on web)

& not had chance to try it properly as the clouds are being stubborn

please tell me if im missing something or just being dim

as if it doesnt do anything i should of gone for the single axis motor.

When just tracking the RA axis moves incredibly slowly. However, when setting the controller to 16x or so, some motion should be seen. The single axis drive (I have a Vixen type for my Great Polaris mount) is essentially just one part of a dual axis motor set. BTW, make sure the clutch is on firmly (or else it will slip), and that the scope is properly balanced, otherwise the RA motor might be overburdened.

There was a similar thread recently. As Michael said, it is very slow. So slow that you might not be able to tell it's turning.

Consider that if you set up a telescope pointing due east horizontally, it should take twelve hours to reach the opposite horizon which is, if I've done my maths correctly, one quarter of a degree per minute. Assuming you can run it at 8x in RA, that's still only two degrees per minute and you might not be able to see that either.

If you put your ear to the motor, you should be able to hear it clicking if it's working correctly. If you want to be sure it's actually moving the mount then fix something straight such as a ruler, piece of wood or length of stiff wire to the dovetail clamp and line it up with something (preferably fairly distant) by sighting along it. Start the motor and leave it running for fifteen minutes or even half an hour, then check to see if it's still pointing at the same thing.

James

thanks all for the info & tips to see if it actually is moving

it does make a quiet clicking sound which i presume its working (hopefully not grinding in the motor)

i'll line it up with something & leave it running for a while & let you know how i get on.

thanks again

If the motor is working when you press the button it's a good sign.

I would check:

The motor to worm gear coupling is connected properly? ie, is the grub screw locked down on the worm gear flat.

The balancing.

Ensure the clutch is engaged.

thanks for all your replys

ive tried it all over the past hour or so, focused on a car wheel up the road (dont laugh) its not dark yet & might be cloudy again tonight "tut"

but anyway seems all ok both axis are working fine "phew"

now to keep that beautiful saturn in my ep for some nice images hopefully

i salute you all.

Archived