NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astronomik Cls Ccd - any good?

The CLS filters regardless of CCD version or not helps with light pollution.

The CCD version adds IR blocking which modded camreas may be sensitive to, depending on the type of mod. I have the non-CCD version and wish I paid the little extra for the CCD version early on. I didn't have a modded camera then, but I do now... it shouldn't have any adverse effect using the CCD version regardless if the camera is modified or not.

Thanks guys, didn't want to go wasting a present on another fruitless astro quest :)

Should of mentioned I was looking at the clip fit...does that make any difference? Other than price of course ;)

They are awesome for modded or unmodded DSLR's depending on the light pollution in your area.

I recently got the non CCD CLS filter to use with my modded 450D camera (filter removal, but second, apparently decent Canon IR filter still in place) and it really is fantastic at cutting out typical Na LP.

However, I do see lots of really horrible red fringing on many stars with the modded camera - even those that are not very bright. This does not seem to be the case when I remove the CLS filter (everything is just orange again :sad: ). This is will a GT81 (triplet refractor) so the optics are not perfect but are at least half decent.

Has anyone else seen anything similar?

I get red rings around stars too, with my non-CCD filter on modded or unmodded bodies. I suspect even on an unmodified camera, the IR sensitivity isn't zero. This is why unmodified cameras can still be used to take IR photos. So with a long enough exposure, there's still enough IR getting through. And assuming the optics are not corrected through to IR, it will be defocused and you get the red bloat. I can't prove this theory though, although if right the CLS-CCD should do better. I might get one some day...

For the earlier question on getting the clip filter, that's what I use. It is great with one possible drawback - you can't use it with EF-S lenses since they both want to be in the same place at the same time. 3rd party crop lenses tend to be ok though as they don't intrude into the same space. The other drawback is if you ever want to use it with a full frame body, you simply can't.

Thanks for all the feedback, at the risk of repeating myself (I posted this on another thread that cropped up)

So having done some more research based on both threads I have made the following observations

1. Both my lenses are EFS - So I wll have to remove the clip filter for 'normal' photography.

2. I could buy the non-IR cut filter and save around £50 (although it maybe worth buying the IRcut incase I mod the camera) :huh:

3. But the CLS-CCD includes the IR Cut so no point :cry:

Never an easy decision when it comes to astro :-D

But I think with the extra info here, i will be going for the full CLS-CCD version.

I have a cunning plan and that is I have my eye on the canon Extention tubes the 12 II or 25 II (did i mention it was a significant birthday :grin:) and as these are EF lenses then I should be able to use one of these with the CLS Filter AND one of my EFS lenses.

Am i making sense?

Thanks all,

Justin

While you can use extension tubes to make EF-S lenses fit at the same time as an EOS-clip filter, note the extension tube will prevent infinity focus for most lenses, thus rendering it pointless for astro use.

If you do want extension tubes for other reasons, you can get far cheaper sets on ebay than the official Canon ones.

1. Both my lenses are EFS - So I wll have to remove the clip filter for 'normal' photography.

By normal photography here, do you mean non astro daytime photography? The clip filter is very easy to remove, just put a thumb nail under it and it will ping out, then you can use whatever lens you like.

By normal photography here, do you mean non astro daytime photography? The clip filter is very easy to remove, just put a thumb nail under it and it will ping out, then you can use whatever lens you like.

That's exactly what I mean and yes the filter is easy to remove but the reason I mention it is if I wanted to do widefield or star tail astro shots I won't be abe to use one of my existing lenses without removing the filter and therefore i won't get the LP reduction I so need. At least that was the logic I was applying here :)

Good point GW - looks like it'll have to be a true EF lense

A good excuse to buy a new lens!! A nifty fifty (50/2.8) is a cracking lens at about £80 new, so secondhand you'll be able to find cheaper. Will give you a great field of view with your camera and a nice lens to play with for daytime shots as well. Win win :smiley:

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II is a cheap and fun lens.The field of view of one is about enough to get the body of Orion in one shot. Corners are a bit nasty at f/1.8, not to mention that's beyond the rating of the Astronomik filters, looks pretty good set to f/2.8 or so.

Archived