NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus crescent

Starman

Here are three shots of Venus from the 29th July, 7th August and 16th August. I was quite amazed at how slowly the crescent appears to change orientation at first and then it just flips around as Venus passes beneath the Sun.

Passing just 8 degrees below the Sun, I really wouldn't recommend trying for Venus unless you really know what you're doing and have worked close to the Sun in the past. This distance is perilously close and not safe to work visually. Both the 16th August image and my closest ever capture (2.75 degrees http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/recent/Venus_060604_1523.jpg) were done via a camera only method. The worst case scenario would have been a damaged camera (and a sore wallet!).

venus-crescent-1024.jpg

his distance is perilously close and not safe to work visually. Both the 16th August image and my closest ever capture (2.75 degrees

Fantastic images Pete..

Please remember that Pete is an expert astro imager..Please do not try to observe Venus as it is extremely close to the sun...Serious eye damage or blindness could result.

Well I suppose somebody has to find out if these camera thing actually burst into flames. Great stuff Pete, I'm a bit too skint to try that myself, but I'm very glad it worked out OK for you. In fact it turned out more than OK, thats a cracking sequence showing the flip over. Much respect Pete.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived