Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to mount my 10in. Dob on an NEQ6

Hi,

I am looking to mount my homemade 250mm Dob onto an NEQ6 (which I have not brought yet). The Dob OTA weights 20Kg and is 350mm in diameter.

I have looked around but can not see any supplier selling approx 350mm tube rings. Does any one here know of a supplier?

Also what would I need to connect the tube rings to to connect to the NEQ6 mount. Would I just need a single vixen/losmandy dovetail or do I need something to sit between the dovetail and tube rings like the skywatch mounting plate http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

Currently the Dob sits on my EQPlatform but looking to replace this with an NEQ6 Pro.

Any advice would be grateful so I can purchase what I need in one go.

There might be a small flaw in your plan as I believe the maximum payload of the NEQ6 from memory is around 18kg. You could always drop a line to FLO to confirm.

James

Hi James, Optical Vision told me a year ago the max weight for a NEQ6 is 25Kg.

18Kg is for the HEQ5

See my previous thread from back then http://stargazerslounge.com/showpost.php?p=1747830&postcount=1

Also, there is potential to lose 2Kg in removing the bearings and other bits off the OTA.

Sorry looks like you're correct. I checked back through some notes I made and also to an answer a fellow member gave out on the forum sometime ago confirming my original answer - so we both got it wrong!:hello2::D

Regarding the rings, have you given FLO a call, I know they have some rings in sizes that aren't advertised. Could also check with Orion Optics as they make their own scopes that are both dobd and equatorially mounted. Joining the rings to the mount can be done by a vixen dovetail bar which is the cheapest option but the new NEQ6 come with a connection 'puck' that will take both Vixen and Losmandy attachments.

James

I managed to find some radius blocks so I can mount my 300mm dob on the GEM(not EQ6)

I got them from astro boot they were for a Meade 12" LX200 so I reckon there may be some out there for the 10" meade that would fit your dob

or if you can find somebody to custom make some

Steve

Archived