Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do I need to guide this set up

spacetrace

Hello all.

I'm thinking of having a go at guiding. I have an eq5- if I was to add the skywatchers goto upgrade and guidescope / guide cam etc what would I need additional. I've seen that you can use eqmod to replace the need for the handset and control from pc. Any help would be most welcome :hello2:

Hello Again,

I thought I had this sorted, then I went and read some more, which has left me confused again. If I have the EQ5 upgrade with synscan version 3 can I connect direct through the handset and still have the same capabilities as if I by passed the hand controller. I have read that linking to the mount via the handset places some limitations, but not sure if this is true for the version 3 something to do with "pc direct mode" I am also confused what actual bit I need as I cant see from the images where a seriel port would connect, this makes sense when connecting to an EQ6 as that has a serial port for the hand controller. Is is this cable that I would need, and by using this cable would I not need an EQDIR unit?

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Shoestring.asp?p=0_10_5_0_5_66

Thanks again

That shoestring product is an EQDirect interface and is the usb eqivalent of their RS232 based EQDIR product.

If you prefer the RS232 EQDIR route then shoestring also make a cable to connect the EQDIR to the mount. With the USB version this isn't needed.

Chris.

Archived