Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Failed attempt at M81 and M82

pbrad

As I have stated before, I am new. Very new. I have no clue what I am doing but I am learning as I go, and it is fun.

Anyway, I attempted to capture even just the slightest little smudge from M81 and M82 last night with my Fujifilm S1800 P&S camera mounted only on a tripod. I figured that if I could see it with 10X50 binoculars, I might capture something with the camera. NO. Didn't get it. But, I am pleased with the picture from my camera.

8 sec, 90 mm, ISO 400.

I attempted M13 as well but ended up with the same results.

post-36510-133877780747_thumb.jpg

Congrats on your first astro photo! You should not be disheartened about not capturing your target, which you don't seem to be :( Ursa Major is clearly visible, so well done. I now wonder how far you will continue up the slippery slope that is astro imiaging... :(

Thanks for the replies.

Shibby, I am pleased with it. It's just now after all these years I am seriously thinking about astrophotography. Before, I have always thought it was out of my reach and never even bothered to research it. But if my cheap point and shoot can capture the moon the way it has been and also capture constellations to the point of recognition, I am hooked.

Gina, yes. I now know I'm going to need more exposure time. That means I will have to upgrade to a real DSLR camera. But first, I must get a new tele. :(

Your on the slippery slop now but its a great ride. I got started with a mobile phone and a rubber band 2 years ago and just like you started taking pictures of constellations. See my blog for how much progress you can make in 2 years.

Your on the slippery slop now but its a great ride. I got started with a mobile phone and a rubber band 2 years ago and just like you started taking pictures of constellations. See my blog for how much progress you can make in 2 years.

Great site! That is a lot of information you have there. I look forward to learning from your blog. Right now I am in the process of getting a new telescope, Orion AstroView 120ST. After that I will upgrade to a better camera. Thanks for sharing your info.:(

Archived