Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrotrack and what else?

Walky

Do I really need a manfrotto? OK, I have a tripod for my cameras and after a long search and some wasted money on a mount and motors, I have decided I don't want to image with telescopes. I also decided that what I really need is an astrotrac.

My main issue here, not ever seeing one, nor a Manfrotto ball head, is how to set it up with my camera tripod, ball head and all.

The recommended equipment I saw on YouTube was:

Astrotrac: ($$$$$) , of course

1-410 hear ball head

a- will it sit well on my tripod (1/4")?

b- do I need an adapter?

2- 0055 Probi Manfrotto tripod (if I decide to buy another tripod)

Is that all?

NOTE: The Astrotrac is expensive so I have to think this up an understand the interconnectivity (*) among these parts, so I don't buy the wrong parts.

If anyoene have photos of (*) , please do post!

I am eager to try the astrotrac and willing to spend the cash it it solves the weight and tracking problems I am trying to avoid.

Marvelous! The photos are outstanding and sharp. They give me hope.

I have seen the astrotack here on "eBay USA" at $600 and $800 (with polarscope). Wonder is these prices are similar to what you have there, but as I see, they are sold from UK. Would it be better to buy from Astrotrac directly? And what to buy?

The question remains if I can use my current tripod with the astrotrac plus 410 geared head and if that would be my only expenses.

I also have a CG4 mount but I don't know if the base (without the head) can be used with the astrotrac. That would be ideal for me. I dont use the CG4, original bought to use with a small MAK because it is heavy (my age also shows) and I am not fond of the lengthy process of alignment that I never have done.

Suffice to say, I am willing to make the investment and sacrifice ($$$) of the astrotrac due to the marvelous photos I have seen here and in other places. But always trying to minimize those expenses. My main goal is astrophotography and not seeing.

Good info! So many thanks!!! Waiing for more details, enough to see how I cna attach astrotrac to my photography tripod. I am also leaning on buying the 055 Manfrotto mentioned every place I go... but is it really necessary?

I used my Astrotrac for the first time the other night, mounted on my cheapy (yet very capable) redsnapper tripod. I don't have a 410 geared head, but the 3 way I do have I found adequate to the task of polar aligning. The 5 minute exposures at 50mm were spot on. I'm using a second hand Manfrotto 486RC2 on top. My three way head only has a 1/4" fitting, but I added a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to the underside of the Astrotrac to reduce the size of the tripod mount.

http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=190596

i love my astrotrac much eaiser to get results from. one thing to note the polarie is really good but has a much much smaller carrying weight AT is 15KGS the polaris is in the region of 4kgs

i use mine on a AZ3 mount so you could easly use the cg5 as long as you can get Polar allignment (which is what the AT really needs to work properly)

are you traveling with it or home use?

My three way head only has a 1/4" fitting, but I added a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter to the underside of the Astrotrac to reduce the size of the tripod mount.
where did you get the adapter for the top form john iv been looking for a decent metal one for 3/4 to 1/4 for ages

Archived