NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which scope to keep

I could do with your opinions on a dilemma I have.

Later this year I'll be emigratring to the sun. The night skies are sensational there, even in summer. I'm planning to do a lot of relaxing, and will also have the time to start imaging.

I aim to buy myself a 14/16" dob for visual to maximise the views from the great skies I'm heading to.

Now here's my dilemna.

I currently have a SW 120ED and a SW Quattro 10S, both of which have been used for visual only so far - but both are obviously very competent imaging scopes. I also have a Megrez 72 which I'll use for wide field imaging or guiding.

I'm thinking that I don't need both the ED120 and Quattro, although each have their advantages. My problem is that I just can't make up my mind which one to let go.

I'll be doing DSOs primarily, although I may also dabble in planetary as well.

My mount is a CGEM.

Any thoughts?

Is there even an argument for keeping them both?

I'd keep the 120, assuming that the 14 inch will be permanently set up at your home location and your sky will be good enough that you don't need to use the quattro as a 'grab and go'.

Archived