NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any easy galaxies tonigh? 24th

Mr Moff

Hiya everyone. I had my first taste of taking pictures of faint fuzzies the other night. Well one anyway M13.

Tonight looks good so I'd like to try finding a galaxy,so is there any relatively easy ones anyone can recommend?

Kit is in my signature.The 200p eq5 has tracking.

Sorry I meant the 25th.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you. I am going to try taking my first ever deep sky image with a guided ED80 and using my unmodded Canon 1100.

Not sure what to go for as North & South view are obstructed so need something easy enough to find (assuming I can polar align correctly) and simple enough to take shots of without worrying about darks & flats etc for the moment. I suppose I have to start somewhere but I need to keep it simple for the moment. Not sure about exposure lengths/quantities, ISO settings etc so it's gonna be a lot of trial and no doubt errors.

Wish me luck.

Hiya mate,I've got a few iPad apps that show the sky but there's just so many I don't know where to start. None of them seem to have any kind of list of best ones to try first. I'd like to try stellarium but I don't have a PC at the moment.

I might try and see if I can get anything of Saturn tonight. I read somewhere it was possible with a DSLR prime focus. I have a 150pl, so I dont know if it's man enough.

Yeah when I first used my camera I tried Saturn first and it worked. It was pretty small but you could easy make it out.

I'd love to try the Hyperion Barlow zoom on planets. It says it gives up to x5 and connects to a T adaptor.:(

Yeah when I first used my camera I tried Saturn first and it worked. It was pretty small but you could easy make it out.

I'd love to try the Hyperion Barlow zoom on planets. It says it gives up to x5 and connects to a T adaptor.:(

Oh really? Just the dslr prime focus? What settings/spec did you do? I'l lhave a bash I think :) thanks

Ooo I haven't seen one of them yet.Thanks for that.:(

I'm excited now.

I think its a good idea to check Heavens above though to make sure you can see it etc, I know what it is for here but I dont know how things differ for other places?

Oh really? Just the dslr prime focus? What settings/spec did you do? I'l lhave a bash I think :( thanks

Here you go,I kept the picture and I think the settings were iso 800 and very short exposure I think 125.

df16a2d6.jpg

I'll checkout the site you mentioned to check for the flare.

The camera battery's nearly charged.

Thanks,hopefully you should see much the same thing. You can get a little closer if you have the skywatcher Barlow they give with some scopes.

It's addictive playing with cameras isn't it.:(

Woohoo I managed to find M81 M82 M3 and M51.

My first star hopping attempt worked, and it just seemed to click into place.:(

A lot of the shots were slightly out of focus but out of 80 or so pictures around 10 turned out ok.

It's starting to come light now so I'll grab a little beauty sleep ready for tomorrow's exciting instalment.

Good night everyone.

Great stuff,that looks nice and crisp.:(

I'm gonna try the same targets tonight now I know roughly where they are. Tonight looks to be just as clear as last night.I'm so excited.

Here's one of M82 that wasn't too bad.

90faad5a.jpg

Archived