NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

250px solid tube dob

Ok between the 8" and 10" i decided the 10" :)

I would like to know what sort of eyepieces are suitable, heard the stories of anything lessthan 200kwid ones are no good, but im sure some are ok.

So basically all you 10" owners (:)) what do you use/suitable upgrade from the standard ones?

I was thinking the BST or TMB11, do any of you use these?

Also the standard ones cant be that bad surley, how do they look?

Bearing in mind this is a pair of newbie eyes, thanks

Doh wrong section should be in help and advice-sorry

i got ep set with my scope of meade 1.25 plossl 5.9,9.7,16,25 and a 40mm with a set of filters..£50, covers a lot of bases...not great quality but fills the gap. You could get a click-zoom ep of course?

The standard eyepieces that come with the 250PX are basic but functional. I quite like the 25mm actually and the 10mm is not as bad as people make out. I don't get on with the tight eyerelief but then I wear glasses to observe.

BST Explorer / Starguider eyepieces have a very good reputation for value for money at just under £50 each but I haven't used them personally. I have used Baader Hyperions and like these very much but they are double the price of the BST.

Eyepieces are a very personal choice and what might be good for someone else might not suit you unfortunately. The kit eyepieces are quite good enough to get you started, so I would suggest you have a go with them for a while and then you will start to see if you want something with a higher or lower magnification or a wider field of view etc.

Also, try and get along to a local astro society meeting and have a look through a few different eyepiece types and see what you like and what you don't.

The Pentax XW 40mm it mentions its suitable for fast scopes (f4) there expensive but as with most things you get what you pay for, one of these is on my to buy list...:)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax/pentax-xw-40mm-2.html

Thanks for that i know where youre coming from but i have to admit that wont be on my shopping list lol :)

Her indoors would undertake an anatomy lesson on me :)

The standard eyepieces that come with the 250PX are basic but functional. I quite like the 25mm actually and the 10mm is not as bad as people make out. I don't get on with the tight eyerelief but then I wear glasses to observe.

BST Explorer / Starguider eyepieces have a very good reputation for value for money at just under £50 each but I haven't used them personally. I have used Baader Hyperions and like these very much but they are double the price of the BST.

Eyepieces are a very personal choice and what might be good for someone else might not suit you unfortunately. The kit eyepieces are quite good enough to get you started, so I would suggest you have a go with them for a while and then you will start to see if you want something with a higher or lower magnification or a wider field of view etc.

Also, try and get along to a local astro society meeting and have a look through a few different eyepiece types and see what you like and what you don't.

Is there a place where you can try before you buy, am sure someone does it but cant remember :)

The Pentax XW 40mm it mentions its suitable for fast scopes (f4) there expensive but as with most things you get what you pay for, one of these is on my to buy list...:)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pentax/pentax-xw-40mm-2.html

Pentax XW eyepieces are wonderful but 40mm in a 250PX gives you an 8.5mm exit pupil which might be a bit much for most people and would leave you with a washed out sky and low contrast unless you went somewhere with very dark skies. I know with 40mm I can see the secondary shadow so 30mm is the lowest power eyepiece I use in that scope, and I seldom use that. 20mm is just right for me.

Archived