NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to keep scope

Hi folks - I would appreciate any advice

OK I have had some observing experience taking star shots (for position and azimuth) prior to GPS, so I have had some experience here. I decided that I would like to take up astronomy more seriously as a hobby - previously I had just used a pair of binos. After some research I decided to get a dob, and most of the suppliers had none in stock so I looked at 2nd hand and ended up with a 12" dobsonian. I guess I didn't consider the practicalities of setting it up and taking it down myself. Friday night was the first chance I had the opportunity to use it and with it in collimation I managed Venus and Saturn. However at the end of my observing I found dismantling it and negotiating the garden paths a recipe for disaster. I know some of you have observatories with roll off roofs etc and I dont really have the space for something as grand as this, but I was considering some sort of secure shed to keep the scope in. Is this practical - would it be detrimental to the scope etc.

I was thinking of some form of lining to the "shed" and having it force ventilated, and obviously secured. If anyone has done something like this I would like to hear your experiences good or bad. Thankyou.

I'm guessing your scope is a solid tube?

Building something against the side of the house is probably a good option. If it faces south and gets hot in the summer then forced ventilation would certainly be a good idea. Otherwise you could probably get by with passive air circulation to keep down the damp. Keep an eye on the primary. Under some circumstances you can get early morning condensation forming on the mirror (if the surrounding air warms much faster than the mirror). If that's happening then you will want a heater since this moisture will, over time, destroy the coatings (this has happened to me... OUCH!).

Don't get worried about the logistics. They will sort themselves out. Over time you will figure out the best way of doing everything and the scope will be much more manageable. For instance, I keep my 18" in a kitchen cupboard and have to wheel it down some narrow steps to get it out of the house. The routine I've developed makes it manageable, though.

Wow - love that Tardis scope shelter!

yeah and it's so much bigger on the inside than the outside because the tardis is Dimensionally Transcendental or so the DOCTOR tells me:)

I too was caught up in the exitement of buying my first proper scope that the practicalities didnt even enter my head. So my SW200p-EQ5 is currently taking pride of place in the living room. I'm trying to convince my wife that it has artistic merit in its own right!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived