Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light Hyperion 10mm/ 14mm FTR Combo

M4lcs67

After an absolute age I finally managed to get out with my new 10mm Hyperion and 14mm FTR combo last night. Got some great views of Mars and Saturn (obviously). Firstly used the 10mm on it's own which was good, but with the addition of the ftr the size increased significantly and there was no decernable reduction in clarity, in fact they were very sharp.

Used my new anti vibration pads for the first time as well and they seemed to work well.

Also I am convinced that due to the fact that my ep/ftr combo came down to 8.4, I managed to get a more accurate alignment with my goto.

All in all a successful nights observing.

Hi, I also have this combo & find the FTR's fantastic.

May I ask where you got the anti - vibration pads from - at the momment our scope is used on decking so you can imagine it 's a nightmare. Did you by or DIY some?

Got the pads off ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Anti-Vibration-Tripod-Foot-Pads-Heavy-Duty-Skywatcher-/280617692553?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item41561e2d89

I had originally looked at the Celestron ones, but a £50 I immediately decided that I wasn't going to pay that.

Then someone on SGL recommended these ebay ones. Only £20 as well. Thats more like it.

I am loving the 10mm. Admittedly I haven't had much time with it, but as first impressions go it is a blinder. I firstly used the 10 on it's own on Saturn then put the ftr in and the increase in magnification was quite noticable, but without any reduction in sharpness or clarity. Well impressed.

Nice to hear you enjoyed the view!

I was using my 8mm Hyperion on Saturn last night and the view was great but I felt the viewing conditions were good enough to go that little bit further. Added my 14mm FTR and it was there.

For the small price you pay for the FTRs they really do make the Hyperion range so flexible :)

You are absolutely right twotter. The fact that the Hyperions are a modular design was/is a big thing for me.

Great being able to have another few eyepieces for the small cost of the tuning rings. When you are getting up to the price of the Hyperions (£100) each, being able to adjust their focal length just by the addition of the rings (£12/£14) is a no brainer.

Sure were, buddy.:). One of the best nights i've had and it wasn't that cold. Admittedly my hands were a bit chilly, but It was more than managable.. Currently offloading some old musical equipment on the bay, so I may be in the market for that 9.25 iv'e been thinking of, hopefully. If I can sweetalk the missus that is.:headbang:

My first Hyperion was a 10mm. I was so impressed I bought quite a few of the other focal lengths. Really impressed by the performance and versatility.

The only downside is the size and weight. Almost grab n go kit weight just for the eyepiece!

Got the pads off ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Anti-Vibration-Tripod-Foot-Pads-Heavy-Duty-Skywatcher-/280617692553?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item41561e2d89

I had originally looked at the Celestron ones, but a £50 I immediately decided that I wasn't going to pay that.

Then someone on SGL recommended these ebay ones. Only £20 as well. Thats more like it.

Thanks Malc, yes they look just the job.

Had 10mm Hyp + 14 & 21 rings on last night (which I think = 6mm) to look at Saturn & Mars both great views but feel could have pushed it further esp on Mars.

Archived