Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar veiwing : cannot explain

having a good gander today at the large sunspot activity, using a baader ND5 solar film filter with a 76mm @ F300 , so it is only a little baby scope. the usual sw 10mm ep , cheap 2x barlow , meade MA 17mm. sw 25mm.

now i should be seeing white light images when using the baader film, but with every eyepiece, with or without barlow i am seeing color.

now this is happening with every eyepiece used in the scope. baader film is clear from pinholes and tears (i check this before and after viewing/imaging). i have not seen coloring before when using a white light filter.

the color is a oranges hue just above the main large sunspot and activity and is seen around the whole sunspot area.

i am a bit worried, gazing at the sun is safe when using correct filters and the likes. but should i be seeing this coloring , could something be wrong with the solar film.

so is it normal to see hue coloring when solar viewing with baader film ? is it safe to keep viewing if i am seeing this colored hue ?

Has anyone else ever had this happen ?

You have absolutely the correct safe filter, but you should not see colour, could be the quality of the ep's letting you down, I use my PanaView 32mm when viewing the sun and there is no colouration. Could check with your supplier on this issue.

Archived