NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

To what lengths will people go to ?

glowjet

I do not know whether anyone has recently visited a certain Astro s/h web site, but someone is desperate to obtain a 12.5mm Baader Orthoscopic eye piece, to the extent that a very, to say the least, generous amount of money is being offered. No doubt down to the fact that these are a bit hard to come by, probably caused by the Japan Tsunami which may have put some of the lens makers out of action for a while :clouds2:

John.

Stephen, I must admit I was not aware that Baader, or whoever, was no longer producing them, but I do not think I would go to a silly price just for the sake of a bit of patience :clouds2:

John.

Stephen, I must admit I was not aware that Baader, or whoever, was no longer producing them, but I do not think I would go to a silly price just for the sake of a bit of patience :clouds2:

John.

Neither would I! :icon_scratch: I'm just thinking out loud, if the advertiser has say the whole set bar that one ..... I could understand where they are coming from.

If the person involved is prepared to pay £100 for a second hand eyepiece that probably would have gone for £50 twelve months ago, I can't help thinking that in terms of pure performance alone they'd be better off going for an alternative eyepiece that goes for around £100 now and perhaps costs £150 new. (I'm not saying there's anything that definitely fits the bill, just that I would be inclined to go in that direction.)

I therefore wonder if this isn't someone who has all the other eyepieces and is desperate to "finish the set", or is perhaps after one to make up a matching pair for a binoviewer.

I'm after one myself, but if I get desperate before one turns up I shall buy something else, and if I don't then I'll just wait until one turns up at a reasonable price.

James

I believe the production of the Baader GO's has stopped in Japan now and Baader are due to launch a replacement range shortly.

The 12.5 BGO has been scarce for some time now (certainly from before the Japanese earthquake / tsunami).

There has been so much written on-line about the Baader GO's that, I reckon, they will be considered "classics" in the future and will probably commend prices higher than would be usual. The amount offered by this prospective buyer is very high though.

There are some viable alternatives though such as the 12.5mm classic "volcano top" ortho and the old 13mm "smooth side" Tele Vue plossl both of which should cost < £50 on the used market. The William Optics SPL 12.5mm and the Celestron X-Cell LX 12mm would also need to be considered although, ergonomically, they are very different to an ortho.

I guess though, if you have set your heart on a set of something, then your heart might rule your head at times :clouds2:

Archived