where to set up first?

Trying to decide the best place to set up my new scope (when it arrives)

I am a complete beginner.

There are two places in my garden where I can put a scope.

On a small patio that has western views blocked by a tree.

On an area of gravel chips that has eastern views blocked by a tree.

North views are not good anywhere in the garden.

Which would be best for a first nights observing?

Thanks

well facing east will bring up objects as they start to appear through the night. but if theres a object youd like to see before it dissapears below the horizon set up for westerly.

southern skies are most desirable, thats where alot of the action happens.

can you swing to east and west from a point in the garden ?

to be honest,saying all that, if its your first night, just pointing it about at the stars from any angle is just great, thats what i did first night out.

if you havn't already,id recomend stellarium. its free and great for seeing whats where in the sky,and will give you some idea where to point the scope. you can set stellarium to your own location and area of the sky you'll be pointing at.a great bit of kit.

good luck,and dont forget to give us all a quick report on how it all goes.

what scope are you getting dom ?

rory,

I would say set up looking east, it doesnt get dark until gone 9 now, so if you want to see anything your best bet is to the east. But dont forget you can point it westerly ehn you get out there and take a peek at venus.

Thanks for the advice, unforunatly without moving the scope I am restricted to one or the other so I shall have to do some further research to see what is about when my scope arrives east suits a little better to be honest. I figured first couple of nights will involve lots of randomness.

Rory - I am hovering between SW150p or 200p on an eq5 mount. I have storage issues and want to head off to some nearby dark skies so I'll decide when I've seen them both in the flesh.

Do you know if there is anything similar to Stellarium that will run on an android tablet, doesn't have to be too complex, just needs to point me in the right direction.

Thanks again for the advice.

I'd go for Venus first, set the scope up about half an hour before so it can cool down, then, move it around to look south to Saturn, Mars is usually in the East, but for me anyway, West isn't somewhere I'd stick to (too much LP for me, and this time of year, there are hardly any stars to the west).

Consider the ground conditions - are you near a busy road? If so you may get transmitted vibrations that could affect DSO observation. I live in the sticks and I put my 200P Dob on the stone drive for west to northeast (Venus in evening etc) and on polythene on the grass for east to southwest (Mars and other planets).I think it is more comfortable to stand on grass for longer periods than on stone. I have a damn great ash tree due East - the wife won't let me chop it down!

I am hovering between SW150p or 200p on an eq5 mount.

I'm surprised to be the first one to suggest this, but have you considered the 150p/200p on a Dob mount? Not only are these a bit cheaper, but the mount is far less complicated/picky, and possibly easier to move about (please ignore me if you're an old hand, not my intent to patronise :clouds2: )

Regarding software.... I use Sky Safari on the :evil4:phone and really like it. It's not free but is available for Android too.

I have an east facing back garden with clear views to the north and south also. Unfortunately due to the position of my house, west is a no go for me. In any case being east facing you get to see most objects as they come into view anyway.

I'm surprised to be the first one to suggest this, but have you considered the 150p/200p on a Dob mount?

I'm sure you won't be surprised that a dob has been suggested many times. The eq fits my very vague plans at the moment. But if I don't get on with the eq then I'll flog it and buy a dob.

Once again, thanks all for your help and advice.

Archived