NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Imaging - Which scope and Camera

johnb

Hi

I a reasonabel imager but am thinking about investing in a PST and imaging the sun, if I had say a budget of £1000 are there any recommendations as to which scope.

I'm assuming I can use my existing Philips SPC900nc to start with

Regards

John B

Hi John,

PST + DMK41 = Nice and easy. Also less than your budget (just).

SPC900nc would be OK to start assuming you can get the sensor close enough to image with. But note that a colour camera will be wasted somewhat as the image is narrowband so green and blue sensors pixels will be wasted/have very little signal.

Ideally, if you go with something like the DMK41 (mono) every pixel is used. (Where is Ken, he explains this stuff much better ;) )

In my setup I use the following bits and stack the resulting video using AS!2:

PST + Nose Piece + Camera

And that gives me a video I stack in AS!2 to give this:

picture.php?albumid=2028&pictureid=17321

Or a colourised in Photoshop version:

picture.php?albumid=2028&pictureid=17322

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for that. Would my current guide camera do the trick its a QHY5 or indeed an Atik 314L+ which I can have use off, just think I may then be able to spend more on the PST ?

John B

If you have the Atik then you may use it, and if not - the QHY5 if it will handle very short exposures. If they won't focus with their nosepieces then putting a Barlow lens on those nosepieces will help (I use GSO 2x Barlow which lens has a 1,25" filter thread and can be screwed to the nosepiece).

Thanks for this, I have looked for a basic FAQ on Solar Imaging but came up blank, hence all the questions. Is it similar to planet imaging as in take a video and then process ?

John B

Thanks, reading various posts it seems this is popular

MERLIN SYNSCAN™ AZ GOTO COMPUTERISED TABLE-TOP ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNT

Sigh getting expensive already, of course I could just used my EQ6 but I wanted something quick and easy to setup

(thanks for all the help its appreciated)

John B

Hmm it was suggested that I could use the Atik as the camera, in which case I can spend up to £1000 on the solar scope - makes sense to me apart from the fact that solar scopes seem very expensive and should I just stick with the basic Coronado PST

John B

If you have one already (like 314L) then you can use it. It will be bit different imaging than with a DMK (you capture like 20-50 FITS and not 1000-2000 frame avi) but it should work quite nicely in standard solar H-alpha imaging.

Here is one of my Lunt 35 mm test images - taken with Atik 314L+ (2 frame mosaic):

sun3.jpg

That's interesting, Rik. I've tried a number of times to use our Atik 4000 to image in our Lunt FS60 nd it always blooms, even at 1000th of a second. I even tried an ND filter in the line but it still saturated. I suppose the next step would be to try a front aperture mask or maybe a polarizing filter?

You have a good result there. I'd like to get full disk images sometimes.

Olly

Overexposure is easy for such DS cams. Insane brightness is needed for 16-bit cams to work best in Solar/Lunar imaging (where short exposure is required), but also most of them don't have those short exposures :clouds2:

For Atik 314L+ and f/6.5 APO ND 3.8 is to bright (even with Solar Continuum if I remember correctly). I had to add light ND filter. Atik 4000 has a KAI so it could be tuned to work with H-alpha or white light by some ND filters. SBIG had an H-alpha solar image made with one of their KAI based cams.

Archived