Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beginners Eyepieces for 150PDS

I'm looking to buy a Skywatcher 150PDS as my first scope and have been trying to work out which eyepiece(s) I should buy to complement the 25mm it's supplied with and would appreciate your thoughts. Initially it probably needs to be a bit of an all-rounder until I work out exactly what sort of observation interests me.

Firstly what type of eyepiece should I go for, I have read that for this type of scope something optically "simple" such as a Plossl is a good idea or should I consider another type?

Once I know that, What size/make? Have seen the following chart from Oliver http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=132489 and I think an 8mm seems sensible but then not sure what to go for after that. Have budgeted about £200 so it could be..

- 2x£100 eyepieces

- 1x£100 eyepiece and a better quality barlow

- 3x£65 eyepieces

- 2x£65 eyepiece and a barlow

or is some other combination of cheaper items a better idea?

Not too worried about getting lots of eyepieces, so would rather go for quality over quantity.

Thanks in advance

Cableguy

Your scope is f/5 so some decent quality ep's would be better, such as the Baader Hyperion 8mm or the BST Explorer/StarGuider's would work well in your scope, depends what your viewing preferences are really...

They are great EPs, but I would add that I also have the 5mm and 25mm and merely find them okay. I could be drawing the wrong conclusions, but I find the extremes of the range, less optimal than the middle ground focal lengths - It's as if the design is a bit stretched beyond it's comfort zone.

From 8-18mm, they're superb value and worked well in my F5 Newt and unsurprisingly, very well in my slower refractors.

Russell

Archived