Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80ED DS-Pro

I was looking through specifications for this scope and I realised that it wasn't much different to my old scope, the Skyhawk 1145p.

The magnifications are pretty much identical and the ED only has 80mm for the diameter whereas the other one has more?

Which one is better? I know there's a £350 difference in prices but why is it so much dearer?

The ED80 has 4 glass surfaces to figure accurately - a newtonian just has one. The ED80 uses expensive glass for one of it's lens elements to reduce / remove false colour from the view. Refractors are generally more expensive per inch of aperture than newtonians.

Thanks John, so would the views be better? I know I live in a light polluted place (Southend!) which is why I'm thinking I should buy one that I can take on holiday with me? I'm going to Holland later this year and they have some dark skies over there!

All in all, this scope seems impressive then because it does to me?!

Thanks John, so would the views be better? I know I live in a light polluted place (Southend!) which is why I'm thinking I should buy one that I can take on holiday with me? I'm going to Holland later this year and they have some dark skies over there!

All in all, this scope seems impressive then because it does to me?!

If portability is important then yes 80mm refractors is appealing.

Having said that, search for 'travel Dobsonian' and you'll be amazed...

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Archived