Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy Courses -distance learning courses at Lancs Uni

casemonster

Hi folks,

I saw an advert in this months Astronomy Now for these courses. I had a look at the website and am interested in the introduction to astronomy course for the Uni certificate and may want to take it further. Something to do when the skies are cloudy!!

Couple of questions:

1. Has anyone done this course and do they recommend it?

2. I am rubbish at maths (CSE grade 4 ;)) and am a little worried about this aspect. I do have two children who are brilliant at it though so would get lots of help here.

3. Does anyone have a course book from the course they could lend so I can decide if this is for me!!

Interested on your opinions.

regards

Chris

You might find maths a little easier as an adult - especially if you have a real desire to learn which it sounds like you do.

I don't know the maths content of this course, but set aside some time, get some good books and access to people that can help you out if and when you get stuck and you'll be fine.

I'm having a look at this myself at the moment. An OU course (S197) was recommended to me but that look as if it may have been discontinued. So I had a look instead at S177, Galaxies Stars & Planets. Will probably register for it this week. Its all distance learning which suits me and seems to give a solid grounding in Astronomy.

As you say, with all these cloudy nights there should be plenty of time to study!

I'm sure someone has said they'd done modules for the UCLAN course, but at the moment I can't recall who.

A few people have applied for this coming September's course though.

James

Archived