NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12" Orion intellidob just popped up on Gumtree

hobbesy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, been after a 12" SW Flextube or Meade LB, how do these compare?

It doesn't specify if the 12" is an XX or an XT. One is full tube the other with struts.

I'm given to understand that the Orion ones are pretty good and £350 is a bargain if the optics are good - more of a bargain if it's an XX of course. It's all about whether the mirror is good and the seller's legit.

hope it's genuine ,gumtree lately has been a bit look at this then when you ask to view it's at the other end of uk but if you send them the money they'll deliver [free of charge of course]

Is this a good scope and good price, have contacted the seller about it also. Had a google for the scope but cant find anything on it.

Contacted him too, its an XT12i

Orion XT12i

If it was an XX (the flextube type) i would have gone for it. Still a good price as far as I can tell. Just need to be carefull, lots of scams around.

What would you recommend to check if you were going to look at it, or what scams are about?

For one, the scope actually exists.

Obvious damages, mirrors, focuser, plug it in, slews around etc.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

For what it's worth, Orion (USA) dobsonians are made by Synta who also make the Skywatcher ones of course. So optically we are talking the same as the Skywatcher equivalents. Meade Lightbridges are made by GSO and have the same mirrors and mirror cells as the Revelation dobsonians, the Zhumell's (in the USA mostly) and the Telescope Services (TS) ones.

For what it's worth, things seem consistent and I have arranged to collect and pay for the scope when he returns from a weekend away. I'll report here how it goes

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

For what it's worth, things seem consistent and I have arranged to collect and pay for the scope when he returns from a weekend away. I'll report here how it goes

Good Luck ;) Bargain if its all present and correct

Thought you're a two-eyes guy Steve, a telescope now? ;)

Aperture fever! Yes, I am a two-eyed guy, but I also lurve the detail you can get in those Virgo/Coma/CVn galaxies with a decent light bucket. I've had an equatorial setup for years, but I don't use it much because, in the time it takes to set up, I can observe more with the big bins than I can in a whole evening with the EQ. A Dob is a different kettle of fish altogether; nice quick set-up.

Oh yes indeed. Tricky to transport/house, though.

I do note that. US stargazers have bigger houses and cars it seems. Witness big Dobs etc.

Archived