What a really nice night...

Just back in after an hour and a half of total pleasure observing the moon and then Saturn first light through my new Hyperion Zoom on my Skywatcher 200p Auto.

I have to say before I bought my scope and I was thinking about the whys and the whats of investing in it, I was imagining sitting in the garden on a cool spring evening, peacefully peering into the night sky. I kind of cautioned myself that I was probably over-selling it and not to get too giddy but I think for the first time tonight it all came together and really delivered what I'd been hoping for.

I wasn't even really thinking about getting the scope out tonight because, since I've bought the zoom about three weeks ago, I've not had a single opportunity to use it. I've also been having a bit of a battle with Saturn, my neighbours' trees and too late nights - I've glimpsed it but not savoured it. However it's higher earlier now so that was a bonus.

Very stressy day at work today so was heading off to bed about ten thirty when I saw it was a nice clear(ish) night, decided not to pass it up and got the scope out.

I've spent the last couple of weeks organising my kit in a flight case, setting up my finder scope, telrad etc so when I went out, I was set up in less than 10 minutes, swung the scope at the moon, looked though the Hyperion at 24mm, focussed in and "boom!", just awesome. The whole moon framed in the eyepiece, beautifully clear - a million miles away from the stock EPs that come with the skywatcher or even the big selection of Meade Super-Plossils my friend kindly lent me to get started with; just so big and accessible. Zooming in was a delight after all the picking and choosing and swapping of lenses I was getting used to, more view time and no chaotic table with 5 or 6 EPs sitting out; I could just get the view I wanted.

Next I stuck my telrad on Saturn and looked through the EP and there it was, gorgeous zoomed out and then very easy to keep centred until I'd zoomed in to 8mm. I stuck my auto-track on and that was that - gorgeous, surprisingly wide, close view of Saturn and 4 moons (I'm suspecting Titan, Rhea, Dione and Enceladus?). I could just sit there, viewing this lovely object, listening to the trains in the distance and sea birds calling, under the light of the moon and my rubbish day just a distant memory.

I've now feel I've got a setup that is quick and easy to get out if the night is clear, incredibly simple to use and above all delivers great results. I'm happy with what I have now (although I think I'll ask the kids for an auto-focusser for my birthday :hello2:) and I am looking forward to really getting to know what it can do in depth.

Mark.

Absolutely brilliant write up. Its a nice reminder of what this is all about and very rejuvenating during this very cloudy period. You've picked me up, thanks for sharing.

Pleased you had a good spontaneous night that was very rewarding. Here's to many more!

Great write-up. Yes it is why we we do this thing called astronomy. You can immerse yourself in it so it is just you and the stars and planets. I have had my scope for just a year, but even now I still love getting it outside (unfortunately not very often recently due to the rubbish weather), but when I can it is brilliant.

Archived