Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Review the Skywatcher 200P

CELESCOPE

Well due to the delay with the Dome , i was presented with a Skywatcher 200P, not something i wanted really, but at least ,some compensation for the dome delay .but thought i woud try it and if it did,nt present any more than i already have , i would sell it on .

So first off ,checked the collimation, using a laser it showed the collimation out along way ,now to adjust the secondary mirror,Hmmm searched high and low for an allen key 4 hours later found an allen key in the garage ,AND YES IT FITTED HEHEEH , so tweaked that spot on , then proceded to adjust the primary , found that easy as well.

so darkness came , and adjusted the finder scope to the eyepiece, and moved on to star align , using the 2 star alignment, scope went pretty well spot on , but i still prefer the red dot finder, anyway attached the CCD and spent an age trying to focus gave up in the end as could not IN focus, had a chat with Bern , who said unscrew the one and quarter eyepiece, from there that leaves the T thread to which i could attach my filter wheel and ccd, tried once ,more and this worked a treat.

Now on to the serious stuff,cloud loomed again for this test , so waited a couple of hours ,slowly cleared but now the moon was very close by my image, and also a really gusty wind came up and stayed with me for all the imaging session. a pity the dome is,nt set up yet ,that would have solved a few things,

But the long and short of it is , i was surprised at the image scale, this is just what i want to complete across the board a varied field of view for imaging.

also i was very pleased with the view this scope gave , although i dont view much , it gave a very clear and sharp image of the sky , excellent infact.

So i wont be selling this one on guys and gals, it has a lot of potential.

last nights images can be viewed in the deep sky section .

Cheers

Rog

Rog, I took delivery of my 200 on Thrusday. Collimation was a bit off but once sorted the views have been stunning. Really tight stars, lots of light for the DSO's, Jupiter looked good (considering) and the moon was tack sharp. Great OTA.

Good to hear you got a worthwhile compensation for your dome wait. I bet you got some good looking diffraction spikes.......visually the diffraction spikes on Vega were impressive.

Regards

Russ

Archived