Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focusing using JPG compression

I was talking to my girlfriend dad the other day, he works in optics and I was saying how I sometimes struggle with focusing. I was telling him how DLSR focus was making this much easier and he said, one possible way of focusing is to take a jpg image and compare the file size of the resulting jpg file. Because of the way jpgs are compressed, a slightly blurred, out of focus image should be smaller than a perfectly focused image...

I've been accepted to the Canons developers network so I can now do stuff with canon cameras (much like dslr focus does) so I'm thinking of making a little program that takes exposures every X seconds and compares the file size, when its at its largest point your in focus....

Before I start building, are there any flaws to this logic?

Cheers,

Grant

... one possible way of focusing is to take a jpg image and compare the file size of the resulting jpg file. Because of the way jpgs are compressed, a slightly blurred, out of focus image should be smaller than a perfectly focused image...

That's how Nikon's BSS (Best Shot Selector) feature works. A sharp pic will have more detail so does not compress as well as a fuzzy pic. The photographer keeps his finger on the button to take a number of pix which are stored in a buffer where their jpeg file sizes are compared. The largest wins and is saved to the memory card - the rest are discarded.

Archived