Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece holder

knobby

Hi all

been digging around looking for a way to improve the EP holder on my Dob.

Its fine for most EP's but the Baader zoom pretty much makes it a painful event tightening the thumb screws as they're so close to the end of the EP

found this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-eyepieces/136603-precision-eyepiece-centering-adaptors.html#post1760972

any other ideas ?

Cheers

I have the same trouble with mine, the screws scratch against the bottom and make tightening it enough quite difficult. As I will be using it quite a lot I have bought a 2" focuser for it. Expensive I know but it works.

I suppose the quick and cheap answer if you can find them is to find some longer thumb screws.

You can get a thing called a "High Hat" adapter that raises the eyepiece up a little and above the locking screw. Another solution is to add a par-focalisation ring to the eyepiece barrel - that will raise it just a little above the top of the eyepiece holder and clear of the screw. The latter is a cheaper option (a few quid from the Astro Boot). Both will require a little inward focus movement to bring the eyepiece to focus.

I just make sure my Hyperions are lifted out slightly in the star diagonal then tighten the thumbscrew. a little bit irritating. I guess it is a combination of a slight design flaw of the star diagonal and the fact that the Hyperions are so chunky. It would be nice if they sat in flush, but it isn't gonna happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I've had a play now and find that with the 2" adaptor in place it won't focus in enough and without it it wont focus out enough! Works fine though without the 2" adaptor and the centering holder out of the holder a bit!

Sent from my HD2Droid

Skywatcher do make life difficult with this design, don't they :)

Why they could not just use a standard 2" adapter on the end of the drawtube and a low profile 1.25" adapter to use in that as needed, I really can't understand :hello2:

Archived