Rigel quickfinder?

Hi All

Thinking about getting the Rigel to replace the stock RDF that gave up on me very soon after I got it. Only concern was how it fits to my scope.

I don't want to be drilling holes really and have heard about sticky pads that come with the Rigel, but is it steady enough when fixed with sticky pads?

Appreciate words of wisdom.

Lee

I use a Quikfinder on my newtonian. The 9x50 RA optical finder occupies the bracket fitted to the scope so I wanted something that requires no drilling and the Quikfinder does a great job in my opinion. It replaced a Telrad which is excellent but rather bulky and has a much larger "footprint" on the tube than the Rigel.

I have 2x Rigel QuikFinders and bases stuck on 5x OTA's. I switch the units around depending on what kit I am using. The sticky pads hold very well indeed. I have never had one come loose even with all the switching around of finder units. The button cell batteries last a really long time as well. I frequently leave the things switched on overnight and I still get more than a year out of each battery.

Lee, I have one of the early skywatcher DOB's and the secondary mirror is fixed to the spider with one of those sticky pads. I've had the telescope 10+ years and the secondary hasn't fallen off yet ( touch wood ). So, for what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate using them to fix a quickfinder to your 'scope. You could always use two - belt and braces, so to speak. The quickfinder is a good piece of kit by the way.

Cheers. John.

Thanks all. Good to get a bit of reassurance before I buy more kit. I'm totally lost without my RDF so keen to get a replacement asap. Although at the moment all it would be pointing at is copious amounts of cloud!

Archived